Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 92 09:50:34 -0400
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Fiona asks:

>At the risk of fanning the flames even further, I'd like to have something
>clarified. Intergalactic Garage sells copies of a videotape that Kate Bush's
>brother has specifically asked not be circulated. Vickie sends out tapes
>of music by female artists which presumably are covered by copyright,
>royalty agreements for reproductions, etc. Why is one OK and the other not?

a)  Vickie gives them away, IG sells them.  While neither is legal, I'd still
have to say that one is more ethical than the other (and you can guess which)_

b)  Vickie virtually never gives away dubs of albums.  Her stuff is always
composed of compilations of artists along a genre or theme.  One of the main
reasons she does this is to help other folks hear other artists.  I would bet
that almost everybody who's heard one of Vickie's compilations has bought at
least one album by at least one artist from it.  I know *I* certainly have
bought a number of CDs as a result of Vickie.  The end result is that IG
sells items that will not encourage people to buy other items.  Vickie gives
away tapes that encourage people to run out and buy things, thereby supporting
the artists she's conceivably 'ripped off' through the act of copying.
Once again, both are illegal but I'd support one over the other.  And once
again, you can guess which.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |