Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KITE, Dirk's bootleg, STRANGE PHENOMENA

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 92 18:05:39 PDT
Subject: KITE, Dirk's bootleg, STRANGE PHENOMENA
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

Elibeth says on "Kite":

>       I can't say if drugs were actually in mind when the song was
written,
>but from what I hear in interviews, etc, Kate seems to look more at
universals
>and feelings than specific events , so this feels more 'right' to me.

        That's interesting, and I wouldn't doubt that it could be true.

Dirk asks:

>A few years ago, I bought a limited edition interview picture disc of
KaTe.
>It was released in 1987 in England and the number is KB 1011.
>The front side shows KaTe's smiling face, the back shows KaTe with a
>big double-bass.
>The record (12 inch, vinyl) is of a very poor sound quality as if the
>interview was given via telephone.
>
>My questions:
>1. Who made the interview?
>2. Is the record a collector's item and valuable?
>3. Is the interview transcribed in the archive?
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.

        I don't have any bootlegs (just tapes made off of them) and
interviews are often repeated on different boots, so I always get the
various boots confused.  In any case, I believe that all of the boots
are transcribed and in the archive (chopped up) in Cloudbusting - Kate
Bush In Her Own Words.  If you want to see the un-edited interview, it
would be in THE GARDEN in (I think) the file GARDEN08.  Info on getting
these files will be in the monthly post, which I'll post on the first
of the month.
        I believe the one you have is a "fake" interview, where the
interviewer used on of those "open-ended" interviews and simply put his
voice in to make it seem like Kate was really there (I could be wrong
about this).  If you'd like me to send you the specific transcription
of it, post the first question and answer so I can figure out which one
it is.

Stuart says:

>STRANGE PHENOMENA
>First song showing Kate's "mystical" bent. Not one of the more
>memorable songs on the album, musically, though. I've always wondered
>what does "Om mani padme" mean?

Since this was brought up by another person, here's some quotes.

*       IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHAT "OM MANI PADME HUM" MEANS.
        Well, it's a buddist chant actually, and I couldn't actually
tell you what it means because unfortunately I don't practice Buddhism.
 But it's a passion mantra, and it's really just a mediative - blah -
chant that people use when they're in a state of higher being.   (1979,
Personal Call)

        IN "STRANGE PHENOMENA," WHAT DO THE WORDS "OM MANI PADME HUM"
MEAN?
        Club member Matthew Toreson has sent in an explanation, which
he found in an encyclopedia.  It is a form of adoration of the Buddha,
and means, "Oh, the jewel in the lotus." Thanks, Matthew.   (1979, KBC
1)

        IN "STRANGE PHENOMENA" YOU SING "G ARRIVES" WHO OR WHAT IS "G"?
        "G" is in fact someone we know called Mr. G.   (1980, KBC 5)

AND SOME STUFF FROM THE ARCHIVES (NOW IN DEEPER UNDERSTANDING).