Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

**** KATE'S SESSION WORK PART I *****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 22:46:23 PDT
Subject: **** KATE'S SESSION WORK PART I *****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Console Cowboy

KATE'S SESSION WORK AND UN-RELEASED TRACKS

        by Andrew Marvick (IED), Ron Hill, Neil Calton, Jeffrey C. Burka,
Chris'n'Vickie, Paul Davison, and Scott Telford.

        Compiled and edited by Ron Hill.

        The numbers are from Andrew Marvick's complete listing of Kate's
recorded tracks.

14/15. Another Day.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
     Sung by Kate and Peter on Kate's Christmas special.

        KATE: In the TV special the song that I sang with Peter Gabriel,
"Another Day," was written by Roy Harper - a very beautiful song from his
album Flat Baroque and Berserk, which you can buy from your record shops
along with his most recent one, which is brilliant.  It's a really good
song, and it will be on vinyl one day, hopefully soon, but not with this
album.  [Kate has still not released this recording.] (1980, KBC 5)

                        Another Day      written by Roy Harper

Peter:
      The kettle's on, the sun has gone another day.
      She offers me Tibetan tea on a flower tray.
      She's at the door, she wants to score,
      She dearly needs to say,

Kate:
      I loved you a long time ago, you know,
      where the wind's own forget-me-nots blow
      but I just couldn't let myself go
      not knowing what on earth there was to know.
      But I wish that I had,
      'cos I'm feeling so sad
      that I never had one of your children.

Peter:
      And across the room inside a tomb
      a chance is waxed and wanes.
      The night is young, why are we so hung up
      in each others chains.
      I must take her, I must make her
      while the dove domains
      and feel the juice run as she flies
      run my winds under her sighs
      as the flames of eternity rise
      to lick us with the first-born lash of dawn.

Kate:
      Oh really my dear
      I can't see what we fear
      sat here with ourselves in-between us.

Peter:
      And at the door we can't say more
      than just another day

Kate:
      And without a sound
      I turn around
      and I walk away.

        Approximately one year after taping the "Kate" special, Kate and
Peter Gabriel returned to the studio to re-record this song. It was never
released, however, and has never been heard.
        Some bootlegs have a track name "The Angel Gabriel".  This is a
little snippit of a song that Kate wrote to introduce Peter
Gabriel when he was a guest on her Christmas special "Kate". Kate, Paddy
and Glenys Groves (one of the two backup singers on the tour) sang the
following:

ALL                 Through <velvet?> storms,
                    and the rains that fell,
                    here comes the man,
                    with his tale to tell,
                    and some have named him,
PADDY (very deep)   Pe-ter,
ALL                 The An-gel Ga--bri--el.

  Peter then did an incredible solo version of "Here Comes the Flood" on
a Yamaha electric grand piano.

16. Ibizza. <sic--possibly Ibizza, after the Spanish island.>
    ^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^
     A song co-written by Kate and Gabriel and originally intended as the
b-side for the single of "Another Day". They were "not satisfied with the
results", however, and the project was shelved. Consequently, no-one has
ever heard this track.

25. Them Heavy People.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     A cover version recorded by EMI artist Ray Shell on February 21,
1981, to which Kate contributed backing vocals.

28. Sing, Children, Sing.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     A benefit single by Leslie Duncan, with Kate (virtually
indistinguishable) singing in the all-star back-up chorus, released
November 30, 1979.

29. You (The Game, Part III).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     A duet with Roy Harper of his song, on his album "The Unknown
Soldier", recorded in February, 1980. A rumour persists that Kate and
Harper recorded an entire album's worth of duets during these sessions,
and that the tapes may someday become available on the black market.

        KATE: To work with him [Peter Gabriel] was really fun and a great
experience - as it was to do some vocals on Roy Harper's new album [The
Unknown Soldier].  I've been a fan of Roy's music for years, as have all
my family, and to work with him on his music was very special.   (1980,
KBC 5)

30. Flowers.
    ^^^^^^^
     A duet with Zaine Griff of his song, on his 1982 LP "Figures",
recorded in June, 1982. This song was a tribute to the dancer/mime/
choreographer Lindsay Kemp, with whom Kate and Zaine had studied together
for a time in 1976. Kate sang on this one track only.

*       Press reports say that you've made a record with Zaine Griff
called "Flowers", yet EMI records, your own record company, deny all
knowledge.  [Kate Laughs].  Well... is this true?
        KATE: Well I haven't made the record with him, all I did was sing
some backing vocals on this song that Zaine wrote which is called
"Flowers" and it's a lovely song.   (1982, Unknown BBC interview)

        I was told recently that you appeared on Zaine Griff's album
Figures.  Is this true?  And what did you do, B.V.S or keyboards?
        KATE: Yes, I did.  Zaine had written a song for Lindsay Kemp
called "Flowers," and he asked me to sing B.V.s.  It is a really lovely
song. Zaine and I met years ago at Lindsay's classes, and as Lindsay was
such a powerful influence on us both - as he is on anyone who is captured
by his strong magic - it was a real pleasure to be a part of something
dedicated to him.   (1984, KBC 16)

31.  No Self Control and Games Without Frontiers.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Two tracks from Peter Gabriel's third solo album, for which Kate
recorded backing vocals in January, 1980.

        KATE: Offstage he's very normal, and that's the kind of thing I
believe in.
        Kate helped out with the backing vocals on his excellent recent
album, and describes the experience of walking into someone else's work
as lovely - especially after the pressure of going out under your own
name.
        I was thrilled to do it, and it's not often that I meet people in
the same position that I can relate to.  It's not like relating to people
at EMI, as they're on a completely different side of the fence.   (1981,
RM)

        KATE: One of the things I've enjoyed this last year was to work
with other artists on their projects.  Isn't Peter Gabriel's single
["Games Without Frontiers"] fantastic?  I can't wait to hear his new
album [Peter Gabriel number 3].  Peter is an extremely talented and
lovely man, and to work with him was really fun and a great experience.
(1980, KBC 5)

32. The Magician (theme from the film The Magician of Lublin).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     A song from the film starring Alan Arkin, it was recorded by Kate in
February, 1979, and featured music by Maurice Jarre and lyrics by Paul
Webster. No soundtrack was ever commercially released; consequently, the
song is only known from the nearly unlistenable film print itself
(dialogue obscures most of Kate's vocal).
        KATE: Maurice Jarre asked me to sing the song, which he had
already written. The whole thing was a most enjoyable experience.
(1984, KBC 17)

53. Breathing and Do Bears Sh... in the Woods?
    ^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Both live, from the album of the April 4/6, 1986 Comic Relief shows,
called "Utterly, Utterly Live". Kate accompanies herself on electric
piano for "Breathing", and sings the comic song (not of her composing)
"Do Bears Sh... in the Woods?" with British comic actor Rowan Atkinson.
The video version of these concerts features what appears to be a
different night's performance of the same two songs. (The programme was
performed a total of three times.)

        KATE: I really enjoyed doing the Comic Relief concerts.
        I was more than a little shocked that you and Cliff Richard of
all people...
        It was fantastic.  I'm a big fan of so many of those comedians -
they are so talented.  For me, alternative comedy is the most exciting
thing coming out of this country at the moment, and to be involved in
something with them all was really fulfilling.  I felt nervous there,
too, it's been a long time since I've performed live to an audience, but
they were so warm.  Unfortunately the piano pedal jammed on the first
night in "Breathing" and I sang to the most horrific combination of
chords you can imagine, so the second and third nights were relatively
relaxed after that!
        Singing with Rowan was hilarious.  He's one of those people who
can make his face and body language make you laugh without him having to
speak.  Again, I was so pleased that they asked me to take part.  I
wouldn't have missed it for the world.  I just wish I'd been brave enough
to ask most of them for their autographs - "Er, Ben, would you? I say,
Rick, I've got this nephew... Just sign it, don't bother signing it to
him..."  You know, you're meant to act nonchalant, but I found myself
starstruck.
        I did see gorgeous Ronnie Corbett and the Monty Python chappies -
wasn't Terry Gilliam there?
        Yes, he was...Just so much talent.  British comedy is unique and
the best.   (1986, KBC 20)

        How did you like singing with Rowan Atkinson?
        KATE: Well, I'm sure like most of you if not all of you, I'm a
big fan of the comedy that's happening in Britain today.  I think we've
always been a leading voice in comedy and music, and it's so good to see
young people actually charging us again with comedy that's also very
educational.  And I was very honoured to take part in that whole Comic
Relief event where Rowan Atkinson was performing.  And I really believe
that comedy has a lot to offer the world.  It's very important.
Sometimes you can say much heavier things through comedy than you could
ever say seriously.  So I was knocked out to sing with Rowan and just to
be involved in anything that they were doing.   (1990 Kate Bush Con)

        The melody is a typical "boring-70s-love-song-ballad" sort of
tune, and both KaTe and Rowan sing in an American crooning sort of voice,
which sounds quite unlike KaTe's usual voice(s). The Curtis in
Curtis/Atkinson is (I think) Richard Curtis, the co-writer of the
Blackadder comedies, which explains a lot...

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA