Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** CATHY DEMOS MEGA-ARTICLE PART I *** REVISED

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 17:11:39 PDT
Subject: *** CATHY DEMOS MEGA-ARTICLE PART I *** REVISED
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

        I don't know if I accidently just sent a copy of this so
appologies if it was sent twice.

        This is part I of an article that I sent back when GAFFA was
down.  It has been revised and now includes details on the individual
booklegs.

THE EARLY DEMOS

        By Andrew Marvick (IED) and Ron Hill.

        This article was compliled and edited by Ron Hill who takes
responsiblity for any errors that may have occured.

THE SESSIONS

     Very little concrete information about Kate's early demo recordings
has ever been made available to fans. The number of songs recorded, their
titles, even their rough dates, remain obscure. Kate has only released
one demo recording officially, the song "Passing Through Air"; and has
played only a part of one other demo (a song known as "Maybe") on the
radio. More will be said of these recordings below.

        Kate first began writing simple songs from about 1969, when she
was eleven years old.  By 1971 she had written early versions of such
songs as "The Man With the Child in His Eyes" and "The Saxaphone Song".
Kate rarely talks about these early songs, but once described them as
being "mostly about myths, spirits, that kind of thing; not fairies...
stronger than that."  (Sunday Telgraph, 1980)

        The following are the early sessions that we know about.  It
should be noted that it's entirely possible that there are more sessions
about which we have not heard.

        1) 1972 Home Demos.

        KATE: [Kate's brother friend, Nicky Hopper] had a friend who'd
been in the record business for a couple of years.  He came around to
listen to me.  I put twenty to thirty of my songs on a tape and he'd take
it to record companies.  Of course there was no response; you wouldn't be
able to hear a thing, just this little girl with a piano going "yaaaa
yaaaa" for hours on end... (The songs) weren't that good.  They were OK,
but...
        I wondered how the artiste of the early days differed from the
current one.    I could sing in key but there was nothing there.  It was
awful noise, it was really something terrible.  My tunes were more morbid
and more negative.  That was a lot of people's comment: they were too
heavy.  But then a lot of people are saying that about my current songs.
The old ones were quite different musically, vocally, and lyrically.
You're younger and you get into murders...   (1978, Trouser Press)

        DAVE GILMOUR: Her home demos were of her sitting at a horrible
piano, recorded with a very ancient tape-recorder, and her squeaking
away.  I listened to them and I could hear the talent but wouldn't have
dreamt of taking them to a record company.   (1990, Q)

        In the 1985 MTV interview Kate says she had "say like fifty songs
that were all piano vocals", so it is unclear just how many songs were
recorded.
        According to the book Kate Bush Complete, Kate's songs were
rejected as "morbid", "boring" and "uncommercial".

        2) Dave Gilmour session at Kate's house.  1973?

        In the 1983 CHEZ interview, Dave said "I did some recording at
her house, her parent's house, and then I had her up to my studio and
recorded some things."  The first half of this sentence is the only known
reference to this session, though it can probably be assumed this session
happened fairly soon before the next session.

        3) First Dave Gilmour studio session.  1973.

        DAVE GILMOUR: I knew the only way to do it was to tart them up,
if you like.  We recorded her properly, with a proper producer and the
best engineer, Geoff Emerick, arranger, and chose three or four songs out
of about 50, and made a proper record [the 1975 sessions] and presented
it to EMI.    (1990, Q)

        Could you, give us some more details about that very first
session with Dave Gilmour in 1973, and do you know the actual date [???
inaudible]...
        Someone here would probably know that better than me...
        [Laughter.]
        I'm terrible with dates....1973, my God, isn't that a long time
ago?  No wonder people think I'm like, nearly fifty.
        [Laughter.]
        Well that was, uh, that was really the turning point, I suppose.
That was the first time I was putting tracks down professionally.  Dave
Gilmour at that time was trying to help a band called Unicorn, who were
putting out their first album, and he was good enough to produce it.  And
we went to Dave's for a day, basically.  And the bass player and drummer
from Unicorn sat down and we just kind of put a few songs together.  I
remember it was the first time I'd ever done an overdub with the keyboard
- I put this little electric piano thing down, and I remember thinking,
"Ooh! [laughing] I like this!"
        [laughter from audience.]
        And, well, I mean really it was because of those tracks that I
then went on [19 to do the tracks which were then used - two of which
were used to go on the first album.  As far as I remember the tracks we
did with this session in '73... There was a track called "Passing Through
Air", which I think went on a b-side -"
        "Army Dreamers"!
        No, I hadn't written "Army Dreamers"...
        B-side of "Army Dreamers"!
        B-side... Oh - oh, was it?
        [Laughter.]
        The other track was, um... It had a couple of titles...
        "Maybe."
        Yes, it was, "Maybe".  There was an - "Humming", it was called,
as well.  I see you've heard of all... But, I just can't believe how long
ago it was.  My god!   (1990 Kate Bush Con)

        Kate played this version of "Maybe" on a radio program called
_Personal_Call_.  It should not be confused with the "Cathy Demos" song
called _While_Davey_Dozed_ (see below).

        Ed: Well actually Kate has very kindly brought us in a tape of a
piece of music you recorded... how old were you with this one Kate?
        K: Oh, I was about fifteen.
        Ed: Do you mind if we play it for everybody?
        K: [Laughs] I'll shut my ears, OK?
        Ed: Will you, OK.  Would you like to introduce it?
        K: Yeah, here it is! [Both laugh]

[A portion "Maybe" is played]

        Ed: Kate had a very wistful look on her face.  Why was that?
        K: I was waiting for the flat note in the middle.  [Laughs]
        Ed: Ah, you mean we faded it just in time!
        K: No, you caught it actually, I'm sure...
        Ed: I never noticed it.
        K: Yeah.
        Ed: But how soon after that was it that EMI found you and signed
you up?
        K: Um, it was about a year, year and a half after that.
        Ed: Was it on the strength of that tape?
        K: No, it wasn't.  It was on the strength of the tape that came
after that. [The 1975 Demos]  But that song was actually on the tape that
got me there.

      These first Gilmour-produced demo recordings also failed to
interest the labels.

4) 1975 Dave Gilmour Studio Session.

        In 1975, therefore, Gilmour arranged for and financed (again to
his credit) another recording session, this time under fully professional
conditions. Only three songs were recorded: "The Man With the Child in
His Eyes", "The Saxophone Song" and a new version of the song known as
"Maybe". The first and second of these three recordings were later
incorporated, almost without changes, into Kate's debut album for EMI,
"The Kick Inside".
     This new set of three demos, together with Gilmour's personal
backing, finally succeeded in obtaining a contract for Kate with EMI. In
1976 Kate bought a modest piano for 200 Pounds and, according to Peter,
began only then to "screech into existence her unmistakable voice."

5)  1977 Demo Sessions.

        Kate Bush Complete states that "during the first year of the
[EMI] contract Kate makes two further demo tapes."  Whether these were
piano demos, more fully produced demos, or both, is unknown.

6) The Kick Inside Recording Sessions.  August 1977.

        The actual recording sessions for the album.

THE EARLY YEARS DEMOS

     Ten early recordings briefly appeared in the form of an West German
album known as "Kate Bush: The Early Years".  Few people have actually
seen this album or heard the songs, and none of these recordings have
appeared on bootlegs.  Here is the description of the album from
Homeground 42:

        Many people do not believe that the famous Early Years bootleg
ever existed.  Actually it did.  It was the first of the early demos
bootlegs and it surfaced around about this time [April-June 1986].
Actually it was not a bootleg in the true sense.  A west German record
company actually believed it had bought the rights to these demos -
presumably from the same source that originated the latter-day demos -
and duly pressed up a warehousefull.  EMI-Electrola in Germany was aware
of the release but took no action.  White label copies were actually sent
out to seek overseas distribution deals.  One came to a small British
importer and... well at that point Kate became aware of the record and
heavy duty legal discussions started.  The album was not released, and so
far as HOMEGROUND knows, the entire stock was destroyed.

        Peter FitzGerald-Morris, while insisting that he does not own a
copy, nevertheless did print the track-listing in an earlier issue of his
fanzine _Homeground_. It is important to remember that none of the titles
in that track-listing has been authenticated by Kate herself. They are
probably only make-shift titles suggested by words the producers of the
album thought they heard in Kate's demo-vocals. In fact one title in the
list is almost certainly incorrect. With that qualification duly made, I
list the titles from the "Early Years" collection:

        1. Something Like a Song.

        2. Need Your Loving. <Clearly this is simply Passing Through
Air.>

        3. Davey. <See above>

        4. You Were the Star.

        5. Gay Farewell.

        6. Cussi Cussi.

        7. Atlantis.  (Possibly this is _Organic_Acid_ or simply Kate's
song from _Organic_Acid_ with John Carter Bush's poem.)

        8. Sunsi.

        9. Disblieving Angel.  (This song would later appear on "The
Cathy Demos".

        10. Go Now While You Can.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)