Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 22:43:28 PDT
Subject: >>>>>>> Monthly FAQ for Love-hound Virgins, PART I <<<<<<<<<
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Rec.music.gaffa is a 7-year-old newsgroup dedicated to the sublime,
peerless artistic genius of Kate Bush.  "Gaffa" comes from her song
"Suspended in Gaffa" (on _The_Dreaming_), and (according to Kate) refers
to gaffer's tape, or duct tape, used to keep people from tripping over
electrical cabling, and metaphorically, apparently, to a frustrating sort
of limbo-dimension ("the idea of seeing something incredibly beautiful,
having a religious experience... but not being able to get back there"):

"Suddenly my feet are feet of mud/ It all goes slo-mo
I don't know why I'm crying/ Am I suspended In Gaffa?"

Submissions to Rec.music.gaffa are forwarded to an extensive mailing list
of people without netnews access.  This means that anyone with the
ability to send and receive mail can take part.  The mailing list was
r.m.g's original format, when started by |>oug /\lan so many years ago.
Together, the mailing list and r.m.g. form an informal fan club called
"Love-Hounds."  You can mail submissions, without fear of censorship, to:

love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Especially rabid Hounds subscribe to the list as well as reading r.m.g.,
because glitches can cause you to miss messages [hopefully fixed with the
new system]. To subscribe to the mailing list, send a friendly message to
the
"moderator", Bill Wisner (who's actually in California), via:

love-hounds-request@uunet.UU.NET

It is possible to subscribe via various other email services: Compuserve,
MCI-Mail, FidoNet, SprintMail, Peacenet, Bix, Envoy-100, Connect, and
others.  For example, Compuserve users can use the above addresses with
">INTERNET:" in front of them.  Right now, GEnie, Prodigy, and America
OnLine are NOT possible gateways to Usenet.  Love-Hound Richard Caldwell
offers access for the price of your long-distance call via the Big Sky
BBS, 24 hours a day at 614-864-1198 (1200 or 2400 baud).

An entirely separate group called WarmRoom has been formed, as both
mailing list and digest, though lately it has been rather slow.  The
people who formed this group felt that the flaming on Love-Hounds had
grown so bad that it was stiffling Kate discussion, so they formed a
group of their own, with the simple rule that no flames were allowed.  To
subscribe send a message to: warmroom-request@ils.nwu.edu.

There is also "Kate-talk", a process that allows fans to talk to each
other in real time.  For more info contact Jessica at
jessica@cs.rutgers.edu, who provides the following information: You need
a unix machine or a vms machine, connected directly to the internet. It
compiles fairly easily on most unix machines. If you have trouble with
yours, I'm willing to help get it running. Client programs can be ftped
from hardees.rutgers.edu in ~ftp/pub/icb-client.tar.Z for the unix client
and in the pub/icb directory for the vms client.  I know nothing about
vms, and do not have a vms account, so I can't help much for vms people,
and I don't have a clue what to do with the files that are there. I'd
appreciate someone on a vms system trying it out for me :)

Topics of interest to Love-Hounds include other alternative female
artists, and Kate-related others like Peter Gabriel and Roy Harper, and,
for that matter, anything sproingy, or not-so-sproingy.  Many new
discoveries have been brought to our attention by Vickie Mapes (of
Vickie'n'Chris), whose definitively sproingy radio show "Suspended in
Gaffa" focuses on alternative female artists, airing Wednesdays from 7 to
8pm on WZRD in Chicago (88.3 FM), and Saturdays from 10 to 12pm on KKFI
(90.1 FM) in Kansas City.  Vickie is especially big on Jane Siberry, the
soon-to-be-superstar from Albany Happy Tyler Rhodes, and Victoria
Williams.

A less-frequent visitor these days is the numinous curmudgeon "IED", Andy
Marvick's self-parody as the ultimate "true believer" Katefan.  IED used
to act as the flame-wielding bouncer of the group, but seems to have
mellowed of late into the more natural role of encyclopedic demigod.
Come back soon, IED!

Katefans are generally the nicest people you could hope to meet, but
r.m.g. does erupt fairly regularly into classic Usenet flamewar-
behavior.  **We're les concierges, chez-nous, honey, and we let the
weirdness in.**  This tender agreement sometimes gets abused, and we try
to do the best we can to uphold our ideals in the face of mindless astral
violence, as Kate would surely want.  (If you consider that what you
write here may one day be read by her... be kind to everybody's mistakes,
huh?)  Newcomers can rest assured that you are welcome to participate,
and if you feel ignored or incinerated you can be pretty sure it's
nothing personal, and persist until you feel accepted... for if your
interest is genuine, you certainly will be.  The best way to deal with
rude and/or uninteresting posts is to ignore then and post something
positive and interesting.

(One flamewar centered on the question of whether Katenews was being
unfairly swamped by discussion of Happy Rhodes, whose CD "Warpaint" has
spawned a #1 hit on Philadelphia's NPR station.  HR traffic has been
moved to a mailing-list that grows more and more active and now includes
many other female artists, shadowing the gaffa-flow.  You can send a
request to subscribe to Jessica via: ecto-request@cs.ns1.rutgers.edu, to
post a message ecto@cs.ns1.rutgers.edu.  Ordering info for Happy's tapes:
Aural Gratification, POB 8658 Academy Station, Albany NY 12208. Tapes are
$9.99 plus $2.00 s&h ($0.35 each add'l tape or CD): Vol 1, Vol 2,
Rearmament, Ecto, and Warpaint.  CDs are $13.99 and $2 shipping. UK:
#8/tape, #11/CD, incl. s&h.)

Still another spin-off is the Tori Amos mailing list:
Really-Deep-Thoughts.
The address to subscribe to the mailing list is:
rdt-request@gradient.cis.upenn.edu.
The address to post to the mailing list is:
rdt@gradient.cis.upenn.edu.
The purpose of the list is to discuss and disseminate information
about Tori Amos and her music, and anything else that seems relevant.

Abbreviations commonly used on Love-Hounds include sideways faces, such
as :-), IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), ROFL (Rolling on the floor) and the
initials of Kate's songs, such as RUTH for Running Up That Hill.

Love-Hounds celebrate Kate's birthday (Katemas) each year around July 30,
with parties all over the world.  1991 saw parties in Boston, Washington
DC, Cleveland, San Jose, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, Iowa City, Chapel Hill,
Chicago, Ipswich UK, Sweden, and two sites in Australia.  1992 saw
parties in Boston, San Fransisco, Chicago, Australia, Israel, and San
Diego [THIS THURSDAY FOR SAN DIEGO FOLK!]

At a fan club convention in November 1990, Kate announced that she hoped
to have a new album finished by the end of 1991, and that she was
planning to "play some dates" at the end of 1991, her first 'tour' since
her only tour
in 1979.  Del Palmer told a fan it might include some in the US.  In her
latest interview (December '91) Kate said her album might be out the
"middle to later part" of 1992, though now we're hearing we can expect it
in 1993.  :-(  The tour is as far as anyone knows still in the works, but
of course the album must be finished first.  Latest news is that Eric
Clapton plays on several of the tracks.
        Kate's buoyant cover of Rocket Man finally arrived October 22, on
the Elton John tribute album "Two Rooms", and a CDsingle with Kate's
cover of "Candle in the Wind" as B-sid' is out in the UK.  Kate also made
a video for "Rocket Man" (not commonly seen yet in America) and performed
the song on Britain's Wogan program.  [Anybody have tapes of the video or
Wogan performance!?]

Fans of Kate were saddened by the news of the passing of her mother on
Valentine's day, 1992.

Kate's earliest band was called the KT Bush Band, (KT being readable as
Katie), and all her albums have had a KT emblem hidden somewhere on the
cover.  It can also be seen in the _Army_Dreamers_ and _The_Big_Sky_
videos.  (The initials KT can also be seen in the _Army_Dreamers_ video.)
 With the release of the This Woman's Work boxed set in the UK, Japan and
Canada, she introduced a new version of the symbol, integrating the
astrological
symbol for Venus (ie, the                 _O_
biological symbol for woman).              |<

FAQS AND MOST COMMON ANSWERS: No, she's not married, but she has a
longstanding Significant Other: Del Palmer, her bassist.  Yes, she
smokes, and we all hope she'll stop.  Yes, she's a vegetarian, though she
now eats fish.  5'3", no middle name.  She has two brothers, John Carter
Bush (Jay), born 1944-- he takes many of the photos of Kate that appear
on her albums-- and Paddy Bush, b. 1952, who plays many of the exotic
instruments found on Kate's albums.
        No, she doesn't hate to tour, just can't find the time between
making albums and videos.  Yes, she appeared on Saturday Night Live in
1978, but the tape you can purchase of that show has her edited out!
Yes, that's Donald Sutherland in the Cloudbusting video.  No, we don't
have her home address!

Albums:
        The Cathy Demos (Twenty three bootleg gems ca. 1975-1977??)  Five
of these are demos of songs that later albums.  Available on various
bootlegs.  (Anybody have an early 80's album called THE EARLY YEARS?)
There are also six "Kick Inside demos", which include an unreleased song
"Scares Me Silly".  Also there are two Babooshka demos and various other
songs on boots.
        The Kick Inside (TKI: passionate and girlish, includes her
British megahit Wuthering Heights, 1978)
        Lionheart (LH: rushed, rewarmed TKI is still absolute genius,
1978)  Now in special $80 "Lioness At Heart" edition, which includes
t-shirt and album sized photo-book.
        Never For Ever (NfE: Kate begins producing, ascends into the
sixth level of enlightenment, 1980)
        The Dreaming (TD: The Seventh Level of Enlightenment. Too naked
for more timid souls.  Play it... LOUDER! 1982)
        The Single File (Boxset of 45's, *tres* collectible. 1983)
        Hounds of Love (HoL: One side delectably bright, one side
deliciously shadowy.  The shadowy side is a never-filmed movie of a
drowning woman's last hours in the sea.  Does she survive?  Kate says so,
your mileage may vary. 1985)
        The Whole Story (TWS: compilation-cum-video, 1986)
        The Sensual World (TSW: Her "most feminine" album, whatever that
means. Noisily engineered.  Some love it, some don't quite love it,
especially "Reaching Out".  1989)
        This oman's Work Boxed Set (TWW).  Not released in the U.S.A.
Awefully pricey, and no lryics or credits on the extra disks.  Includes
extra disks I and II:
        Almost all B-sides, dance-mixes, and other incidentals are
collected on the extra disks, but not all.  Major songs missing are:
Dreamtime (The Dreaming instrumental/remix), Running Up That Hill
(instrumental), The Sensual World (instrumental), Be Kind to My Mistakes
(original soundtrack album version, much longer than and very different
from the single re-mix, most like it better), The Confrontation
(instrumental from the Comic Strip film, GLC)
        Doesn't included any previously unreleased material or session
work with other artists.  Great music though, yeah! 1990)

        The Japanese version of this boxset has:
--no stickers (umpteen almost-identical KTfems symbols - tell us if you
think of something to do with em?),
--more/bigger books in Japanese with non-canonical lyrics in English,
--the Japanese album-covers for TKI and NfE, and
--the mythical "better-sounding CDs" (tell us if you believe this).

        Official video tapes are:
    Live At The Hammersmith Odeon (1983).  TV special of Kate's only
concert tour, unfortunately it contains only one hour out of the two and
a half hour show.  The missing footage has never been seen, aside from
one showing at the 1985 Kate Bush Convention.
        The Whole Story (1986). Contains most of Kate's videos up to
1986.
        The Single File (1983).  Contains all of Kate's video up till
1983. Similar to The Whole Story, but contains five videos not on The
Whole Story (the earlier "Wow" video, Hammer Horror, Them Heavy People,
Suspended In Gaffa, There Goes A Tennor) and lacks the newer videos.  Not
available in the U.S.A., but it is available on import from Canada.
        The Sensual World (1989). Contains videos from that album and
interview footage.  The American version contains much less interview
footage then the British version.  The British version is the complete
1989 VH-1 special.
        The Hair Of The Hound (1986) is now out of date, as The Whole
Story contains everything on The Hair Of The Hound.

                There are also more then a hundred "underground" videos,
which are traded amoung fans and are shown at Katemas parties and the
like.  These are primarily television performances and interviews.
/l

        [PART II Follows as a seperate message]

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)