Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Daily Mail interview, April 18, 1979 **** PLUS LIVE REVIEW

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 92 10:38:31 PDT
Subject: *** Daily Mail interview, April 18, 1979 **** PLUS LIVE REVIEW
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

        What Does Kate do next?

        by Paul Donovan

        Daily Mail - April 18, 1979

        Movie men want to make a bat woman of Miss Bush

        The wailing voice and haunting looks of Kate Bush have already
sold a million records
        So what's the next step of the 20-year-old doctor's daughter who
this week is playing to sell-out audiences at the London Palladium?
        If the movie makers get their way, they'll turn her into a sexy
vampire and bring shuttering frights from the girl who rose to fame with
her number one smash hit Wuthering Heights.
        Elfin-faced Kate revealed yesterday: "I've had two script offered
to me recently.  Both were horror films.

POWERFUL

        "But I wouldn't have though I was a vampire.  ANd I don't
consider myself an actress, anyway."
        Kate, who dances sinuously on stage to a background of conjurer,
smoke, and back-projected films, was asked about the other role in which
she has been cast... a vamp.
        "I was very rebellious when the Press first gave me the label of
a sex symbol," she said.  "I thought people would react to me as body and
face rather than my music.
        "But it's an incredible compliment for a female to get, so long
as it doesn't stand in the way of the music.   I"m not sure why people
like me or why they want to see me on stage but it does inspire me that
they do.
        Kate has no steady boyfriend and will marry only when she wants
to start a family.
        It she hadn't been a singer, she would have like have been a
psychiatrist.  Now there must be a script there, somewhere.

Kate Bush at The London Palladium

by Thomson Prentice

Daily Mail - April 18, 1979

        That conventional image of a girl pop star who recites her hits
between breathless "thank yous' was hurled into deserved obsolescence in
this unlikely setting.
        Kate Bush lines up all the old stereotypes, mows them down and
hammers them into their coffins with a show that is - quite literally -
stunning.
        This quaint, cute suburban redhead turns pop upside-down by not
merely singing but performing songs with explosive originality.
        Each number becomes a miniature play involving burlesque, ballet,
and mime.  The cast is a troupe of dancers, musicians, and magicians who
paint a whole kaleidoscope of images.
        Personally, I don't much for her records, her voice dominated
with often obtuse lyrics is not a fulfilling enough mixture in itself.
        But add an endless repertoire of special effects, props,
back-screen projections and sound effects and the voice becomes part of
an entrancing whole.
        The relentless imagery, however, sometimes engulfs the intention
of the performance.
        But what an ambitious adventure it is for a singer on her first
concert tour - and how mediocre does she make most of her pop
contemporaries seem.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA