Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What I did on my summer vacation - Katemas '92

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 02:41:13 PDT
Subject: What I did on my summer vacation - Katemas '92
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

        What I did on my summer vacation
        by Ron Hill

        [Transcribed by Ronald Hill]

        Well, I left on Thursday Morning, July 23.  My plan was to not
get too much sleep the night before and then spend the day doing things
here in San Diego and that way when my plane took off at 8pm, I'd be
tired out and be able to go to sleep.  Well, of course it didn't work out
that way as I had the coolest, cutest woman sit down next to me, so I
didn't get much sleep at all!!  She even knew who Kate was!! (Her, Val,
Meredith, Jessica, etc - I was _swimmin_ in women on this trip!  :-) )

        So I landed in Philadelphia at 6am local time and went to Valley
Forge (cool!) and then on a trip around the area.  I was surprised by how
much of the city looked _really_ old.  Then I took the train to New
Brunswick where I met up with Jessica and stayed the night alone at
Greg's.  Next morning, Greg was there and we mussed with his computer
some, then went over to the nearby computer center where I used FTP for
the first time, unfortunately the archives weren't available at the time.
 Then it was over to Jessica's for a cool meal.

        Next day it was off to DC in the morning.  The first day I went
on a bus trip around the city, and saw the national cathedral (definitely
recommended!).  Then I went off to a Jazz club where I got a little
drunk!  :-)  The next day I went on a helicopter trip around DC which was
really cool.  Then I saw the pentagon, the Arlington cemetery, and the
Iwa Jima (spel?) memorial.  Then I went to The Library of Congress at
around 6.  I foolishly expected I would be able to research the magazines
I needed by the time it closed at 9:30.  The problem was the magazine
functions of the library close around 6!  So I did all I could and then
came back the next morning and basically spent the day there.  It was
incredibly frustrating cause they had most of the magazines I needed, but
not the _specific_ issues that I needed, they would have a mag up to say
1977, or would be missing a specific issue only, or would say they had it
and then didn't.  So I got about 15 or so, which I should start
transcribing soon.  I did a special order for some so hopefully they'll
find them in which case I should have about 6 more.  If anyone in the
area would like to volunteer to pick them up (if they come) then write me
at this address.
        I had wanted to see the Vietnam Memorial, but didn't finish until
an hour before my train left, so I had a cab driver take me there and
wait for me and then take me to the train station.

        Then it was back to New Brunswick which I stayed at for the next
two nights as I went into The City (New York).  The first day I spent
cruising around, and I went to The Dakota (where John Lennon lived and
died) and Strawberry Fields (the part of Central Park dedicated to John).
 It was there that I saw this woman playing Bob Dylan songs.  I shouted
out "Play Kate Bush", and she said "I'd love to, but I don't think you
can do it on piano".  Then she started fingering her guitar and said
"Wuthering Heights?".  Then I went to see Les Miseribles.  The next day I
went on a tour of New York and saw all the normal stuff.

        That night Greg, Jessica, and I drove up to Boston.  The next day
we stumbled around Cambridge and stayed up late making pizza.  The next
day was the day of The Party.  In one room was set up CDs of more obscure
artists then most people see in a lifetime, and in the other was the Kate
Stuff.  I brought my videos and those were played.  A whole group of us
left to cruise around the Cambridge record stores.  I finally got to see
some actual bootlegs of Kate, as well as zillions of Neil Young and
Beatles boots.  I was also surprised to see the Collector's book for
sale, though it was 20 bucks, which is about 6 bucks over what you can
get it mail order for.  Back at the party I played the forty seconds of
the Rocket Man video and then the Comic Strip shows Ken (which Kate did
the music for) and GLC (which Kate appeared in).  Then the band played.
After the first song, I got freaked out 'cause someone walked up to me
and said I had a phone call, most unusual as no-one knew I was there!
:-)  Of course, it was Chris Williams from the Chicago party.  He told me
the news about his message from Homeground (Kate's album being delayed
till next year) and the great news that Peter from Homeground really
likes my book Cloudbusting!  Then we went out for _fireworks_, which was
funny cause as I was lighting one, Val took a picture which I though was
a cop arriving to arrest me!  Then some of the fireworks started to come
perilously close to hitting some of us!  It's not a party if there is not
some physical danger involved!! :-)  Then we had a guy doing some
juggling  (cool).  After most people left we saw the tape of the
performance of the band (great).

        The next day five of us went off to find the Wilhelm Reich
museum.  It was a five hour drive out there, two hours there, and then
five hours back!  It was an interesting place.  There is quite a bit more
trees then the video, so it's hard to imagine Peter tumbling down the
hill like in the video.  When we turned off the road, we started singing
"Cloudbusting".  I asked him how many people who went there knew about
Reich or Kate and he said that about half the people who went there went
cause they knew about Reich and about half just cause they happened to be
in the area and needed something to do!  He said people coming because of
Kate was a bit of a "rarity".  When Val asked what Reichian people
thought of "Cloudbusting" he said that it was a "just a curiosity".  He
also said that due to all the fighting among the various disciples of
Reich, they only sold books _by_ (not _about_ Reich) at the bookstore
there, and that that may be the reason they didn't have
_A_Book_Of_Dreams_.  The guest list went back to 1986, and I looked
through the 1986 and 1989 section to see if I could find Kate's name, but
no luck.  (Looking through _Deeper_Understanding_ I've just found a
mention in 1987 from someone who went and said that the tour guide then
had said that he had heard Kate had been there.)  Val looked through back
issues of the Reich newsletter for mentions of Cloudbusting, but no luck.
 The tour guy said there have been a few other Reichian references in
art, including a "Reichian Physiologist" in (I think) Magnum P.I.  There
were a couple of Cloudbusters on display, including the very first one
ever built.  They were basically just a couple of tubes shot pointed into
the air.  The tour guy said there are people in Northern California who
are supposedly using them and have "attained statistically relevant
results".  There was also an interesting experiment where they had two
glass containers that were identical except for the fact that the bottom
of one had "Orgone collection material".  This container was consistently
hotter then the other, which science supposedly can't explain.  Reich
supposedly showed it to (I think) Einstein and he couldn't explain it,
but (supposedly) shied away cause Reich was too infamous at the time.
        On the way home we stopped at an (I think) Ethiopian resterant,
which was fun cause the guy seemed to have the attitude that "if you
don't like our food, I'll kill myself!"  He was so eager to please!!
When Bob didn't like one dish (not because he thought it was prepared
badly, just because he hadn't had it before and didn't happen to like it)
I thought the guy was going to die!  On the way home we read from
Cloudbusting and The Garden.
        The next day Val and I went around Boston on a bus tour.  We had
lunch at the place that inspired "Cheers", which wasn't as friendly as on
TV!  There was a really drunk and load SportsFan there, who kept talking
about various sports stuff I knew nothing.  I kept saying things like "go
team" and pretending I knew one sport from the next.  Then we headed off
for Middletown, Connecticut (or Bullshit, Nowhere) where we spent the
night at a friend of Val's and went to a couple of really cheesy diners.
The next morning Val was kind enough to drive me to the train station.  I
arrived in New York in plenty of time to catch a bus to Newark, so I
walked around Times Square a little, and then missed the bus I intended
and then the next bus got stuck in traffic, so I arrive too late to catch
my plane!  Luckily they put in a really small plane to Philadelphia,
where I got on the same flight and plane I was supposed to connect to in
Kansas City!  So I didn't loose any time at all!  Unfortunately the plane
was delayed and hour and a half while they worked to replace (of all
things) the black box!   So then I arrived home at 1am and slept most of
the day.

        Thanks to everyone I met on my trip, especially to Gr"whata
guy"eg for putting me up, Va"whata gal"l for showing me around, Jes"whata
hair"sica for not physically hurting me.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA