Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate spotting (Utah Saints)

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 92 03:42:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate spotting (Utah Saints)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris here,

I said:
>>   Dave "My God, I really _am_ a twit" Kendall of "120 (practically
>> unbearable) Minutes" just played the video by _Utah Saints_ called
>> "Something Good" (a misnomer if I I ever heard one.)
>> [. . .]
>> as the basis for an execrable excuse for a song.

and Ed Suranyi replied:
> I haven't heard it yet, myself.  But at the San Jose Katemas, there were
> several who had, and I got the impression that they thought it was
> pretty neat.

Lazlo Nibble:
> In fact it's a pretty entertaining track, assuming you have a taste for
> poppy techno and don't think that anything Kate Bush does is automatically
> off-limits for anyone else to screw around with.

   Lazlo, please. I _love_ Jah Wertzal's version of WH, and Faith Brown's
parodies of WH and _Wow_. We have the entire 4th album _backwards_ on
a tape somewhere around here. I think the track ( I can't call it a _song_)
is crap because I think it is crap, not that Kate is sacrosanct.

  It's just another annoying example of Boyz with their digital Toyz taking
the work of an actual artist, chopping it up, adding nothing of consequence,
and releasing the result as a new work.

I said:
>>    The video was announced at the start of the show, but wasn't played
>> until the very end, forcing me to suffer through the entire show.

Scott Lindsey pointed out:
> .. well, you at least got to see the new Siouxsie & the Banshees video too.

  Well, yes I did, but one kinda ordinary Siouxsie video is barely enough
compensation for two hours of Dave "...and _she*_ _hates_ me!" Kendall's
dreadful company. BTW, _Face to Face_ has been added one "The Jukebox
Network" so yu can see it for $2.50 anytime, if you don't mind the sub-
titles.
                                     (* a good friend of ours.)
jessica lawrence koeppel dembski:
> I'd say our reaction was: "ha! well, it's kinda neat how they used the
> kate bit. too bad about the song overall though". It's not something
> i'd put on often, it's not at all the kind of music i generally choose
> to listen to. But it's still great that it has kate-stuff in it, and i
> really like the way they used the sample, the "oooh--ahhh" bits came
> out great. darnit, i missed the video.

   One little acknowleged Kate sample is on Peter Gabriel's _Rhythm of
the Heat_; the female voice singing "ah-ah-ah" doubling Peter's voice
right before the big african drum section. We don't have comfirmation
on this, but a friend worked on one of Larry Fast's Fairlight Series IIs
a number of years ago, and found some samples on it called "KATEBUSH1"
and "KATEBUSH2."

                            Chris Williams of
                               Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                  katefans@chinet.chi.il.us