Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTemas in Wollongong - the aftermath!

From: stephen@cc.uow.edu.au (Stephen Nicholson)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1992 17:33:29 -0700
Subject: KaTemas in Wollongong - the aftermath!
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hello KaTeFans...

what follows is a nice letter to Kate and you all from the drunken mob
at Katemas in Wollongong, Australia this year. We used a tag-team typing
system - sort of like tag team wrestling, except a paragraph instead of
a bif at a time.

Although KaTemas was the 30th, we waited to the next Saturday, the 1st,
to party. I had flown in from a Family funeral in New Zealand the night
before. This was the rather interesting result...

G'Day there Gaffa, this is Steve from Gilmore St. Wollongong (near
Syndey) Australia. Here it is, 10:44 PM on the Saturday after Kate's
Birthday - our officially dedicated KaTemas party. I've just spent the
last three days in New Zealand for a bloody powerful funereal
experience and KaTemas somehow seems appropriate.

Currently there are a bunch of drunken KaTe fans in my lounge
trying to annoy my next-door neighbours with a rather uncertain
version of "Wuthering Heights". I've retold my story of me acting,
singing and dancing as KaTe on stage last year doing WH, but
pretending to be George Bush singing about his rather lusty
relationship with Saddam Hussien. The details are generally
obscense, but the chorus was somewhat like "Stormin' Normy its me,
Bushy, come home now, let me scud your hoooole...". Anyway, this
rather KaTe (and Beer) drunk host will now pass you over to your
friend, and mine, Gra (Graham Dombkins).

Hi all! Well yet another KaTemas party here in "The Gong" has
arrived in a sudden rush and with much panicked fanfare. It was
only two days ago I was wondering around Sydney on KT's actual
birthday and saying happy KaTemas to anybody that would listen.
Next thing I know it is the night before KaTemas and all through my
house I was hunting for things to go on the KaTemas-tree, we fixed it
up quite well I believe with lots of tinsel, KT symbols and TWW
symbols.

At the moment I'm listening to them in the next room murder yet
another KaTe song with a drunken chorus of L'Amour Looks
Something Like You. They seem to be able to hit every note -but- the
right one! We have all been VERY well feed and now those that are
still left, about 8 of us, are sitting in front of the fire in the lounge
trying to out-sing each other in what-ever KaTe songs is playing at
the moment.

This year we had about 18 people turn up for KaTemas, the one
notable exception being the absence of John Quintal (where were you
John?). The Music has ranged from her KaTeness to Tori Amos to
KaTe to Peter Gabriel to KaTe to Mouth Music, .... We've had a tree a
cake (with sparklers, thanks Steve) a BBQ and -heaps- of food and
drink. I've been having a great time :-) ... Oh God!! Now somebody is
trying to play BONGOS to the Kick Inside!! I think I'd better get back
to the party before it goes totally out of control. Back to you Steve...

Steve back. Someone just started some Clannad - "Past-Present" -
wonderful. I've learnt in the last 15 minutes that penny-whistle does
not go easily with KaTe - that piano music of her drifts around too
much for such a limited-key instrument. Never mind, I'll stick to
learning some of her more "Irish" tunes. Anyway, back to the lounge
room. There's about 7 people left next to the fire in the fireplace -
the room is lovely and cozy, the only light coming from the fire and
some candles, and the warmth from the friendship and the music.
Tag!

Victoria Here !!!  I'm totally responsible for silencing the party with
"Caislean oir", Macalla, Clannad.  Too many voices at once, totally
ignoring Kate,  a bit of theatrical  intrusion was completely necessary.
Reminiscent of the Clannad Concert Sydney '88 - Opening number.
Kept them quiet O.K.  However before this - lots of lovely singing,
melodic keyless wailing to Kate's creations.  Oodles o' Fun - haven't
done this for a long time.  I HIT EVERY NOTE !!!!! (and the right ones
too !!!)
TAG!

Hi, I'm Bennett.  Tag!

tag your fucken arse tag [Now, now Christina!- Steve]

Hi Emma,
Everyone is out in the lounge room No Christina has just come in,
She's next. Was not Christina rude, (see Above). Language is a virus
 please Listen to me, Its all true. There is no point in going on, how
dramatic. Anyway here we are at KaTmas wondering where paradise
is. Ben is taking some medication  for his headache. The voices are
floating over me. The Whales are asking "...if oceans have walls."
They are back and they are asking me what Vicki has down her
pants. Tag Tag Tag Tag.....

Hi it's Christina here, 12:07a.m Sunday morning now, Clannad has
now left the CD player in favour of Laurie Anderson "home of the
Brave" Brillo! Ben and Graham are here now, but there seems to be a
few people in the lumberroom quite wierd really - bloody Kiwis!
Wow the computer just said yeh! yeh! Oh really I don't really have a
lot to say, so I feel might to say that KaTe III has been a wonderful
succes in Wollongong, and you're all invited next year.  Tag who ever.

Graham here again. That was an amazing bit of typing to watch!
Christina seemed to type two characters and delete one for the entire
paragraph ;-)tag .

Hi Benjamin here wishing you all the best on your birthday.
the party has qietened down a tad and possibly may be over soon or
maybe for me for i am tired.Anyway we celebrated it qite well even
though you couldn`t make it.We must do lunch some time when I`m
in London next. (Graham here again, Benjamin was leaving that
message for KaTe herself)

Okay, tag already! I'm Scunge and it's 1:30am, Sunday morning.
Looks like a good time was had by all. Now, comes the great hauling-
back-of-all-Graham's-Kate-memorabilia. But first, I need some
munchies, to sustain my energy. Happy KaTemas, everyone!!!

Stephen here at 2:03 am. I am about to crash out. The party here has
finished. Just Lorin is left to crash out in the lounge room. Time to
sleep. And to all a good night. Happy KaTemas.

Stephen
2:15 AM, 2/8/92.

Well, not the most coherent, but well intentioned nonetheless.

Hope yous enjoyed.

Stephen Nicholson				 stephen@wampyr.cc.uow.edu.au

"We'll eat your friggin' entrails and we won't give a damn" - The Pogues