Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Woman's Work p.o.v.

From: toc@portland.digitalk.com (Tim O'Connor)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 11:25:34 PST
Subject: This Woman's Work p.o.v.
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

REGARDING                This Woman's Work p.o.v.
people:

greg footahs and John Zimmer happily discusses 3rd person abstract
omniscient point of views on the part of the protagonist in "This Woman's
Work".

NO, No, no. (if I may be so bold)

The song is clearly first person. "I know you have a little life in you
yet". "All the things that we never did". "Oh, darling, make it go away".
(rough quotes, I don't have the lyrics here either) And the emotions
expressed are clearly those of someone deeply involved in worry about
something he has no control over. Birth is always a worrisome time for the
father. Even after three times it's gotten no easier for me. Who knows what
could go wrong (tho' things seldom do)? The mother is a bit too involved to
worry about it `til it's all over (:-) or <-( depending on your p.o.v.)

The opening lines ("It's hard on the man, now his part is over. Now begins
the craft of the father") would be the guy thinking in general terms about
men and birth. Besides "It's hard on me now that my part's over. Now I start
being a father" or whatever probably wouldn't scan as well.

Tho' I may as well add that I never liked this song much. The music I find
marvelous, catching the whole slow build up to a head rush everything
happening at once sudden ending and slow down that the birth process is. But
the lyrics contain too much selfish whining and a notable lack of concern
for the woman giving birth. Which fits in quite well with the movie, I must
say.

to'c

--
"A typical long haired half mad computer programmer on a typical computer
keyboard with odd toys scattered liberally about."