Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kate can't produce herself?

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1992 12:58:34 -0700
Subject: kate can't produce herself?
Sender: jondr@sco.COM

i just stumbled across a very interesting kate reference in an ancient
issue of Music Technology.  this is from the december 86 issue, page
33.  they're interviewing Rupert Hine who was a pretty successful
record producer of the day, having done stuff for Howard Jones, The
Fixx and Tina Turner.  he hasn't done a lot lately.  anyway,
here's the quote:

===
	... a project should in some way present a challenge for me
personally, because then I'll know that I can give my best.  And I
also have to have the feeling that I have something to add.  A lot of
people have suggested that I work with Peter Gabriel, but I think he
produces his albums perfectly; I like them too much.  Peter manages
somehow to get his ideas across very well, so there's no place for me
there.
	By the same analogy I feel that Kate Bush, who's also
extremely talented and an original writer and someone who's trying to
communicate, does not produce her albums well.  She's not getting the
best out of herself and her songs.  I'd really like to produce her,
because I know in my heart that I could get an album that would be so
much more communicative - and I /don't/ mean commercial.  She falls
short so many times that it's very frustrating listening to her.
She's a classic example of someone who lacks the objectivity to sit
back and decide that one song is communicating well, while another
song isn't.
===

now, i don't agree with him at all, and he has also weakened his
argument by forgetting that all of peter gabriel's albums were
produced by extremely talented individuals who didn't happen to be
peter gabriel (in order: bob ezrin, robert fripp, steve lillywhite,
david lord - now is that a roster of star talent or what?
incidentally, i'm not counting So because i think it's crap.  i'm
really beginning to think daniel lanois is the antichrist - he should

personally i think kate should have produce her album or at least let
me remix her next single.