Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wuthering Heights-A Musical?

From: Juliet_O'Keefe@sfu.ca (Juliet O'Keefe)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1992 13:47:21 -0700
Subject: Wuthering Heights-A Musical?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sfu.ca

I tried to post this once before but I guess it got lost in the ozone.

Valerie Nozick writes:
<Yes, that's right...Wuthering Heights the musical is now abailable in your
<local record store.  No KaTe on this one, tho'.  As far as I can tell, this
<version (the first full musical of the story) has not been performed anywhere.
<It seems to have been commissioned by the Bronte Society, and includes songs
<such as 'Wuthering Heights' (not the same one) and 'Cathy!'.

I find it hard to believe that the Bronte society would commision a musical-
I thought they were an academic organization and had better things to
do.  Is there really a connection to the Bronte society?

Btw, I read recently that a new version of Wuthering Heights is being
filmed in Yorkshire, with part of it set in the Parsonage at Haworth,
showing Emily's life there at the time she was writing the novel.
The part of Emily was rumoured to be played by Sinead O'Connor-
an inspired choice.