Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: **** COVERS OF KATE BUSH SONGS *****

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 12:05:33 CDT
Subject: Re: **** COVERS OF KATE BUSH SONGS *****

Chris here,

Ron Hill posted:
>        This is a compilation and re-editing of various messages (mainly
> from Love-Hounds), done by Ron Hill who takes responsibilty for any
> errors that may have occured during editing.

>        WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURITE COVER VERSION OF ONE OF YOUR SONGS?
>        "Poor Old Flea" by Madame Maria Nanky.  (1984, KBC 17)
>

>        Anybody who understands what this means should let us know!

   According to our informants, Madame Maria Nanky, Enrico Baratta
(whose activities were chronicled in the KBC newsletter) and others were
charactors invented by Kate and her brother Paddy. It's an in-joke by Kate.
She probably wrote a song called "Poor Old Flea" (an undiscovered demo)
long ago and did an awful version of it and blamed Madame Nanky.

>        _Wuthering_Heights_ by Jah Wobble (supposed to be crap!!).

    The artist is "_Jah Wertzel_ (Morgan Fisher)" *not* Jah Wobble, and
it's _not_ crap, just very, very strange. Imagine a bizarrely accented
man's voice singing:

   AOW-hut on the WHILE-E, WhinD-e M'whores
   W'he'd ROLL 'n fael in Ghheenn.

   ...over a backing track played by musicians sight-reading sixth
generation xeroxes of the sheet music, on the insturments they have never
played before.

>        And there was an abysmal Reggae-inflected _Wuthering_Heights_
> around 1981, group unknown by IED, and not recommended.  (May be the same
> as the one above).

    I don't know what to call it, but it's not Reggae.

>        The lyrics included are only as accurate as my ears.  If anyone
> thinks they know what a "Cop Boutique" is, please let me know:

   I'd have to hear that one, but here are a few comments.

>                OH ENGLAND MY LEOTARD
>                (To be sung roughly to the
>                 tune of "Them Heavy People")
>                [Transcribed by Doug Allen]
                ----------------------

     I was into yin and yang and half of yoga
     Ginsing and carroway seeds and being a non-smoker
                                            ^^^ [wrong-o]
     My carrot quiches were better than the board's were
        ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^                  [re: Delia Smith's Cookery Course]
     And they were thicker than two short ones
     People bought my latest hits cause they like my latex tits
     Everyone is trying hard to get inside my leotard
     Went to my hairdresser to have a hairdo
     He asked if I him knew "A la Recherche Tete-Temps Perdu"
     That's how I was introduced to Gollette, Cocteau, and Marcel Brust
                                    ^^^^^^^^                      ^^^^^
      [I'm sure it's Collette and Marcel Proust (of the All-England ...)

     Now whole food cookery is just a sideline
     La la la la la ...
     I went to Cairo and I read the Gnostic
                                    ^^^^^^^[..funny thing? She probably has]
     A corporate form of joining the original cop-boutique ah
     Cause I cuff psychosis berries
     And a fibonacci series
     Studied acupuncture and the bible
     Opened the windows in my mind
                              ["Thanks to Peter G. for opening the windows"]
     "It's not your mind -- it's your body they're into"
     My business manager said
     He said I need an intellect like I need a
     Hole in the, hole in the, hole in the head
     Though I'm an honorary member of Mensa now
     I'm going to try and keep up the pretense some how
     Would you buy my latest hits because you like my latex tits?
     And you're all trying hard to get inside my
          [...Music changes to "Violin"...]
     Leotard, leotard, leotard

> ---
netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
> NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA

                              Chris Williams of
                                 Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

p.s. We will be having a Katemas party, and maybe a Kate-"Birds of
     a Feather" meeting at Siggraph. Mail me for more info.