Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

...----... ?

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 22:33:25 PDT
Subject: ...----... ?

        Here's IEDs transcription along with some info from the KBC
newsletter.

                     Watching You Without Me
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 ("What's that?")                            <This is a snatch of
conversation
 ("It's four, _five_, six, seven...")         between musicians on the
track.>

      You can't hear me.
      You can't hear me.
      You can't hear what I'm saying.
      You can't hear what I'm saying to you.

 You watch the clock
 Move the slow hand.
 I should have been home
 Hours ago,
 But I'm not here.
 But I'm not here.

      You can't hear me.
      You can't hear me.
      You can't feel me
      Here in the room with you now.
      You can't hear what I'm saying.
      You don't hear what I'm saying, do you?

 Can't let you know
 What's been happening.
 There's a ghost in our home,
 Just watching you without me.
 I'm not here.
      ("You don't hear me.")                 <This line heard backwards.>
 But I'm not here.
 (You can't hear me.)
 But I'm not here.
 (You don't hear what I'm saying.)

      ...___...___...___...___...            <Morse Code "SOS" signal>

 "Don't ignore, don't ignore me,
Let me in and don't be long.                 <The main "secret message",
 "Don't ignore, don't ignore me,              strangely masked
multi-track
Let me in and don't be long.                  vocal bridge; not
backwards.*>
 "Don't ignore, don't ignore me,
Let me in and don't be long."

           "We see you here."
           "We see you here."
           "We see you here."                 <This section is heard
backwards,
           "We see you here."                  but also sounds like real
words
           "We see you here."                  ("We receive", or "We
recede",
           "We see you here."                  or "Really see") when
played
           "We see you here."                  forwards.>
           "We see you here."

      You don't hear me come in.
 "Help me, baby! Help me, baby! Talk to me! Listen to me,
  listen to me! Talk to me! Help--"**
      ("You can't hear me.")                  <This line is heard
backwards.>
 "Listen, baby! Listen to me, baby! Help me, help me, baby!
  Talk to me! Talk to me! Please, baby, talk to me!"
      ("You can't hear me.")                  <This line is heard
backwards.>
      You won't hear me leaving.

<*--"Don't ignore, don't ignore me...":
    This "mystery message" immediately follows the Morse code "S.O.S."
    signal. The subject of a years-long Kate Bush Club competition, it
was
    not officially explained until late in 1989. The clues were: it is
one
    sentence, twelve words long, and it begins with the word "Don't".
Many
    fans considered it backwards, getting solutions which sounded a bit
like:
    "Zwoh-nikh-noh, zwoh-nikh-noh nee, et-nee nong-widz-aw nee noy."
    The translation in the lyrics above is the official one, but there
may
    very likely be an additional, _backwards_-directional message in this
    space which remains undeciphered.>

<**--"Listen to me, baby...", etc.: The words in this
    passage, and in one which follows later in the song are broken
    up--fractured--by some sound-treatment process known only to Kate.
    Similar to passages from _Waking_the_Witch_, these
    lines seem to contain different words when played
    backwards. Respectively, these are: "I was here before, you talked to
me,
    you said that you didn't think it was too late to help me...";
    and "Talk to me, listen to me, talk to me, talk to me,
    baby..." These words apparently were recorded within the
    momentary gaps which break up the forward-directional recording.>