Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

...that Lady Beauty in whose praise thy hand and voice shake

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 87 16:27 PST
Subject: ...that Lady Beauty in whose praise thy hand and voice shake

A note of refleKTion for all like-minded fans:

   Rossetti was also divided between his commitment on the one hand
   to introspection and self-discovery -- to painting his soul as
   it was -- and his belief on the other hand that the ideal of the
   self must not lie within the self. There must be an external ideal
   around which it can move in order and harmony. "Seek thine ideal
   anywhere except in thyself," he wrote in his notebook. "Once fix
   it there, and the ways of thy real self will matter nothing to
   thee, whose eyes can rest on an ideal already perfected".

      -- from Barbara Chalesworth, "Dark Passages: The Decadent
         Consciousness in Victorian Literature"

-- Andrew

>From @EDDIE.MIT.EDU:motcid!marble!meadley@uunet.UU.NET  Mon Oct  9
12:12:16 1989