Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Comercialization?

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1992 22:37:13 -0700
Subject: Re: Comercialization?
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 22:56:18 PDT

elenar@netrun.cts.com (Rob Costa) writes:

> Is it just me or does Kate seem a little less .... hmmm
> "Majestic", "Angelic", "Bizzare" than she used to be?
>
> It seems like ever since she did that lously song with Peter Gab.
> her music has begun to seem to me to be more comerical.  Less
> Grand somehow.  As if she's simplifing it to reach a larger audience?
>
> Im sure she didn't write that song she did with Gabriel, so whats
> the deal?
>
> Someone please tell me im just imagining this...
>

> ---
> elenar@netrun.cts.com (Rob Costa)
> NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA

        Hi!  Nice to see a fellow NETRUNer on here.  Let me know if you
want any of the stuff mentioned in the FAQ, since you're local.

        I assume when you mean "Commercial" you are basicly talking about
THE SENSUAL WORLD album.  That album's kinda controversial around here as
some love it and some don't quite love it.  People had the same
"commercial" reaction to Hounds of Love as in:

        One can't help but notice that the first three songs on your new
album, though quite excellent indeed, have a distinctly more "commercial
pop" sound to them than anything on The Dreaming.  Was this to help make
the album sell better than The Dreaming, or did you feel it artistically
important to make some music that might be more accessible to more
people, or did it just come sort of come out that way?
        I don't feel that it is that much more obviously commercial.  I
mean, I think from what people say, they feel that it is, but for me they
are very similar energies.  They are just trying to create as interesting
a song as possible with the best production to accompany it.  And to make
it different.  And I think what makes it more accessible for people is
the consistency of rhythm.  I can't really see that much difference,
apart from how different songs are anyway from each other.
        Well, did you think to yourself, "well, if I use a consistency of
rhythm that it will be more accessible to more people" when you went
about writing the song, or did you -
        No.
        - just want to do that?
        Well, I write a song because it's what I like at the time.  On
the last album I was beginning to get very intrigued with the use of
rhythm.  I realy like using rhythm, and I think this album is a
progression of how I've learned to work with it.   (1985, Love-Hounds)

        It should also be noted that HOUNDS OF LOVE was much more
commerically successful then THE SENSUAL WORLD, as were it's singles.
Besides, how many "commercial" songs do you know that are inspired by
James Joyce, or are about Dancing with Hitler.

        I don't think _Don't_Give_Up_ really had much effect on her later
work.  It seems to me to be somehow more connected to HOUNDS OF LOVE, as
much of Gabriel's album did.  Another thing to note is that if Kate was
really interested in commerciality, she probably would have include
Be_Kind_To_My_Mistakes_ on THE SENSUAL WORLD, as it was probably the most
"commercial" song she's done since HOUNDS OF LOVE.

        So, since you asked me to, I must say that you're just imagining
this!  :-)

        VERMOLE STUFF:  In my last article, I forgot the following quote,
which I think may be related to the books, especially when you here how
she stumbles over the one bit.

        ...whether you are innocent or guilty, they're going to put you
down--under the water again...
        Can I just ask you something - from a personal point of view, did
you ever feel that was happening to you in the music business?
        [Laughs.]  No, not at all!  No, I think that's very much
something that...
        People have made up?
        Well, that is an [stumbles over words] outside personal view of
construing subject matter.     (1985, Homeground)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA