Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Julia Fordham

From: rvinluan@cs.cornell.edu (Rolando Vinluan)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1992 16:40:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Julia Fordham
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.cornell.edu (USENET news user)

In article <68438@apple.Apple.COM>, I_SW@zis.ziff.com (Sam Warren) writes:

|> Rolando Vinluan asked if anyone here listens to Julia Fordham.  Well, I do.  I
|> have her three albums, but I must say the latest - "Swept" - is a bit of a
|> disappointment for me.  I don't know if she'll ever match her songwriting
|> ability on "Porcelain".  Songs like "Manhattan Skyline", "Porcelain", "Genius",
|> "Lock and Key"
|> and "Towerblock" affect me in a way I had not felt since Joan Armatrading.  The
|> way her voice just sweeps down into that melancholy alto range sends shivers up
|> my spine.  To me, "Porcelain" is the perfect Fall album.  When the leaves are
|> changing, the wind is whipping past you and the lights come on a little earlier
|> in the evening.  That's the way I feel when I hear that album (even if it
|> happens to be summer).  On the latest album, I think the only one I like is "I
|> Thought It Was You".  But I keep listening, hoping it will grow on me.
|> Lyrically, though, it will be hard for her to top "Porcelain".  I find her
|> voice very romantic on all three albums though.  She's definately worth looking

	Yes, right now I think the latest album is a bit of a disappointment, too,
but maybe that's because "Porcelain" was as rare and fine as, well, china porcelain.
For those who are wondering, her eponymous debut album is pretty good too,
especially the first song with the "Kumbaya" chant at the end; but she has a
couple of relatively fast R&B/soulish tracks where her voice is more perfectly
suited IMO for slower, more "dreamy" songs. (She realized this, as "Porcelain"
and "Swept" have no songs with a driving beat.)

	At the risk of sounding fanboy-ish, has anybody basic info about her?
I saw her one time on Johnny Carson, but she didn't get to talk much.
And who's that singing "Where Does the Time Go?" with her? (Jeffrey Osborne?)

|> into.  But incidentally, hounds, she's really nothing at all like Kate (or for
|> that matter, Tori).

	But kinda like a husky Sarah, I think.