Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

**** EMI NEVER FOR EVER INTERVIEW PART 1A ******

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sat, 23 May 1992 09:35:23 -0700
Subject: **** EMI NEVER FOR EVER INTERVIEW PART 1A ******
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

Kate Bush Interview  EMI (London) 1980
--------------------------------------
Kate Discusses Never For Ever
Reprinted in Breakthrough 2

        [Transcribed and bracketed comments by Ron Hill.  Thanks to IED
for providing the interview.]

        I: One has to begin at the beginning, Kate, and I can't help but
realize that I can't make sense of the title of the album: Never For
Ever.  What does it mean?
        K: Well, it's really meant to be reflective of all the things
that happen to us all the time ourselves, we're never for ever, death is
inevitable, things always pass, good and bad things, so when you're
feeling really desperate you know that it's not going to last for ever.
It's really saying that everything is transient - ourselves and
everything that we are in is transient and we should really remember that
because I think to remind you of that makes you think more.
        I: During the time since you've made your last album, have you
had reason to feel that way?
        K: I think it's something I've always felt, probably since I
started creating.  I think once you start exploring the creative areas
you become aware of how transient things are, especially one's writing,
one's art.  You become very aware of the fact that that won't be around
for a long time - maybe, but very unlikely - and so that's something in
your mind a lot of the time.
        I: And do you feel sometimes that if I don't put this down on
paper now I'll forget it and it will be gone for ever?
        K: Yes - yes, I think you have to catch a moment when it's
happening.  It's like not snapping up opportunities when they wave at you
- you can so often let things go by you and when you're old you think,
wow, I let all those things go by me.  You must try to act in the moment,
though it's very hard.
        I: Does that annoy you at any time - do you feel that you're not
the master of your own time - if you get the muse you have to obey it
then and there?
        K: Yes, but unfortunately a lot of the time the muse is
obstructed by other forces.  I'll be very busy doing something else and
although it's calling me I can go.  That's something that I"m very aware
of, the fact that when you do feel that there is something there, almost
like a gift, I think you sometimes worry that you abuse it or neglect it
and that it might go away.  I think one of an artist's great fears is of
drying up and I think probably anyone who writes must have such fear
inside.
        I: The cover of your Never For Ever album is absolutely wild: It
shows a painting of yourself with you skirt up in the wind, at least in
the front, and is stemming this literal parade of both good and bad
creatures, some beautiful, some absolutely hideous.  Whose idea was that?
        K: Well, the idea was really mine but the work was totally Nick
Price's, the artist, who really interpreted it as the way he saw it.  The
idea was that all of us, we are full of all those black and white things,
bats and swans, and that the mixture of them is what we are - we aren't
just good and we aren't just bad, we are both of them.  IN my case my
black and white thoughts, my emotions, go into my music and on the cover
they're coming out from me and going into the album.  THat is really what
we are trying to symbolize - the fact that we are full of many, many
things inside us and that  they come out at some time, whether it's in
anger or whether you channel it into something productive.
        I: You mention this black and white in yourself and although you
have a reputation for being a lovely lady and because you're petite and
you smile a lot people might think oh, what a sweet child.  And of course
there are songs in which you have great violence, such as "The Wedding
List", quite a disturbing song.
        K: Yes, I think the energy that it's about is very disturbing and
that's really why I wrote it.  It's about the energy of revenge, the fact
that someone can spend the rest of their life going for an aim purely
through revenge.  When they actually do get their revenge it's very
sweet, they're very happy and then because it's fulfilled there's nothing
left for them.  The whole situation is so futile, so wasted and such
black heavy energy.  So many films use the theme of revenge and I think
it is something that does fascinate people - it's all in us somewhere.
Maybe it's hidden more in others than some.
        I: In "The Wedding List" you have a character named Rudy - is
that named after anybody you'd read about in literature or real life?
        K: No, not at all.  It was really the name that just happened as
the words were coming with the song and so I didn't fight it - I just
accepted it.
        I: One unexpected guest artist on this album is your brother
Paddy who on several tracks plays instruments that we don't ordinary [sic
- ordinarily] hear.  For example, the balalaike, Delius, Koto, stumento
di porco - where is he getting all of these and how does he know about
them?
        K: Well, Paddy's thing really is instruments that aren't so well
known - he's always had a great fascination for the beauty of instruments
from the past and he went to a college where he in fact learned to build
early musical instruments and the more he's been getting into it the more
he plays.  And this strumento di proco he build himself and things like
the saw, the balalaiki he owns.
        I: What is a stumento di porco?
        K: It's a very strange shaped instrument with strings, many
strings laid across vertically and you hit them with hammers or you play
them with your fingers. I'm really not sure of the origin of it but  it's
an incredible sounding one.  We in fact used that on the last album in
"Kashka From Baghdad", too.  It's got a really beautiful Eastern sound.
        I: Was it your idea to invite Paddy on the album or did he say to
you hey, sis, can I be on it?
        K: No, it's very much my idea from a long way back to involve
Paddy.  He's been on all the albums but not really featuring quite so
much as on this one.  I think one of the great things about this album is
that it left much more room for people to do things than on the other
ones - it was that direction, much more experimental, exploring.  And
Paddy played a big part with all the instruments exploring little pieces
and areas, absolutely invaluable.  Very like animation, his instruments -
they just put a little bit of red on here and a little bit of green down
there and complete it.
        I: This is an album that a lot of people have waited a long time
for.  Have you in fact worked on it for a long period of time?
        K: Yes.  It's definitely been the longest one so far and although
the recording was about six months it did seem like a long time because
the way we were working, we worked to very late hours.  The time just
skips by when you are in the studio.
        I: When you're having fun?
        K: Yes, we were.
        I: Is it fun?
        K: This was incredible fun - it was so exciting and everyone
involved was so into it and without that you have a big block because
you're into it but there are people getting tired or going down.  And
everyone was with it - it was like a big surge towards the source, the
album, and it was very exciting.
        I: You mentioned that so much of it is experimental and I agree
with you and we'll be talking about that - but was there pressure on you
to have those commercial considerations which would be the result of your
previous success?
        K: Well, to be quite honest that's something that I never really
consider.  Commerciality is such - a word that we use a lot that
sometimes gets mixed up, because in many terms commerciality is really
something that people like, a lot of people like.  Sometimes a very
unobvious thing can in fact be commercial and really the way I go for it
is just if I feel I have a good enough song to build on it and to give it
all I can give it, all its highlights, the best you can and then really
it has its own life then.  It's  not so much a matter of commerciality as
rather dressing the song in the correct manner - like putting a nice suit
on it instead of, you know, a pair of overalls.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA