Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

IED, interviews, Cathy, Pat Benatar, Alien^3, thanks

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1992 23:28:39 -0700
Subject: IED, interviews, Cathy, Pat Benatar, Alien^3, thanks
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!  I've "moved and will be getting mail here
from now on, or at least a while.

        Hello all.
        Firstly, Andrew Marvick (alas IED), just sent me a couple of
interviews, mostly Never For Ever and Dreaming era stuff.  I'll be
transcribing them and posting them over the next couple of days.  Pretty
good stuff.  A little teaser on Pat Benatar is at the bottom of this
article.

        Someone mentioned _The_Early_Years_ songs as possibly being cover
versions.  This seems extremely unlikely as the title listing was given
in _The_Garden_ (from an old Homeground) and several of the songs had the
same titles as the demos that were later released and the rest seemed to
have very "Kate-like" titles.

        A couple of people have asked about quotes about the songs on the
Cathy demos.  Kate has never commented individually on the songs
themselves (as far as I know).  She has only made general comments on the
demos.  I may be updating Andrew's article about the demos from The
Garden, and if so will post it.

        Someone mentioned about Kate speaking French.  I doubt it, as I
don't think it's been mentioned and she's been interviews for French
language publications in English, which was then translated.  According
to an interviewer in shool she was: showing an unusual interest in Latin,
although she found it an incredibly difficult language to master.

        Thanks to Scott for his info on the book, Kate Bush: The First
Twelve Years.  I'm waiting by my mailbox for it!  :-)

        Goodbye, Johnny.  He'll never have Kate Bush as a guest!  :-)

        I saw Alien^3 today.  I give it two and a half Kate Bush symbols
out of four possible.  The first two films would get four.

PAT BENATAR QUOTES
------------------
>From BREAKTHROUGH 2

        Pat Benatar: All the covers I do are purely because I love the
songs.  "Wuthering Heights" for example is a beautiful song, really
beautiful, and when I first heard it I just knew that I had to sing it.
I wasn't trying to copy Kate's voice, which, by the way I think is
brillant.  But I wanted to put my style onto it..."
        Soundmaker, January 1983
        (reprinted from Homeground #9)

        Kate Bush: "... while some American fans did not car for Pat
Benatar's version of 'Wuthering Heights' on the lady rocker's Crimes of
Passion Album, Kate thinks 'it was very nicely done.'"

        New Sounds, January, 1984

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA