Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori's KaTe influence

From: tessi!john@nosun.West.Sun.COM (John Zimmer)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1992 15:07:54 -0700
Subject: Re: Tori's KaTe influence
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis) writes:

>In article <66903@apple.Apple.COM> GTP10@phx.cam.ac.uk writes:
>>
>>I imagine Tori is probably fed up with the KaTe comparison being made, but I
>>would suggest that she has already paid a tribute to KaTe as a major influence
>>by choosing the front cover art of "Little Earthquakes" to echo the American
>>cover art for "The Kick Inside". Perhaps, if someone on the list gets the
>>chance to interview Tori, they could ask whether the similarity is intentional.
>>I can't believe it isn't.

>Well, you haven't been reading .gaffa too closely. Vickie (of V'n'C fame) asked
>Tori after the Chicago concert, and she denied the KaTe influence for the Tori
>in a box cover. This along with the fact that she seemed irritated after
>John Norris mentioned KaTe at the MTV special, makes me wonder:
>Is Tori a KaTe-fan? Or is everyone just speculating?

Or, like me, they missed that digest; I never saw Vickie's post.  But this is
also supported by statements in one of the British interviews (VOX, I believe),
where she said the cover design was the idea of her photographer or somebody
(other than Tori).

I'm of the opinion her irritation is due to all the comparisons, period.  In
the same MTV interview, she says she respects and/or admires these other
artists, but believes that female artists generally are subjected to comparisonsmuch more than males.

Personally, the only similarity between Kate and Tori that interests me is the
fact that both can make powerful, affecting music that can "hit me in a soft
spot."

>Angelos
>-------
>'the freedom of the highway beckons blue jeans, fast cars'

John Zimmer                         sun.com!nosun!tessi!john

        Irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht!