Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: correction

From: GTP10@phx.cam.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 11 May 1992 09:30:52 -0700
Subject: Re: correction
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Dirk <dkastens@dosuni1.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de> said:

>> But i'm sure that Tori will never confess to this.
> (Where is my dictionary?)
> Remember Marillion denying to be influenced by Genesis.

This second bit about Marillion is apocryphal and untrue. On the bootleg of
early Marillion demos "Forgotten Songs" they do a cover of Genesis's "I Know
What I Like" which is introduced by Fish as "A nod to influence" (or something
like that). I think Marillion just got fed up with the Genesis comparison
being made.

I imagine Tori is probably fed up with the KaTe comparison being made, but I
would suggest that she has already paid a tribute to KaTe as a major influence
by choosing the front cover art of "Little Earthquakes" to echo the American
cover art for "The Kick Inside". Perhaps, if someone on the list gets the
chance to interview Tori, they could ask whether the similarity is intentional.
I can't believe it isn't.

Geoff Parks