Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori in SF

From: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1992 01:48:14 -0700
Subject: Tori in SF
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

From: deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 10 May 1992 08:48:13 GMT
Originator: deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu

  Just got back from seeing Tori in San Francisco.  It was absolutely
amazing.  The emotion was so thick your spoon would stand up in it.
At the beginning of every song I would lean back, breate deep, and
relax.  By the end of each song I would be leaning forward, my whole
body tense, listening and watching as hard as I could.  I liked her
album quite a bit, but she's ten times better in concert, or a
hundred - I go to concerts almost continuously, but it's been a while
since I've seen one I liked this much.
  She covered a Led Zep tune (rather poked fun at it, too, I thought),
and several others I don't remember any more.  She told a rather
shocking-funny story about her discovery, when she was a young girl,
of the wonders of vibrators.  And she had gotten her eyebrows dyed
earlier that day, she said, but the dye will be out by tomorrow.
She played about an hour and a half all told, but it seemed like it
was just forever - just floating on the sound of her voice.  Her
opening act was abysmal - and just before he left the stage he had
the gall to cover Peter Gabriel's "Red Rain", which really showed
in stark contrast how lame he was.  But it was worth it easily the
moment she came out onto the stage.
  Everybody loved her, she got a lot of enthusiasm from the audience.
See her if you're at all tempted, it will be better than you expect,
even from all these rave reviews of her concerts.  It was a lot better
than I expected.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Years go by if I'm stripped of my beauty
 and the orange clouds raining in my head..." - T.A.