Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: fiona_mcquarrie@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 23:50:00 -0700
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Well, now that there is a Tori Amos mailing list, perhaps this isn't
appropriate to post here, but what the heck - her concert in Vancouver
(May 7) was wonderful. The concert hall (Vancouver East Cultural Centre)
is a converted church, which she commented on before doing her cover of
"Whole Lotta Love" She did nearly all the songs from "Little Earthquakes",
plus the Led Zep song, and, as an encore, "Smells like Teen Spirit". (My
favorite moment was when she got to the "Hello, hello, hello, hello" part
and the guy behind us yelled, 'F**k, it's Nirvana WAHOOO' and started
clapping along) If you can go see her, please do - she's fantastic.
 Tom Neely asked about Kirsty MacColl. She has had several albums on her
own (the last being 'Electric Landlady') and has also sung on several
Pogues records. She has also written songs covered by Tracey Ullman (They
Don't Know) and Billy Bragg (A New England). She is married to Steve
Lillywhite, the producer.
 Shona Laing I don't know too much about except that she is from New
Zealand and had a few minor hit singles in England. She had one album
out in the U.S. which I have somewhere....but one good place to hear her
is on Manfred Mann's "Africa" album from about ten years ago (I may be off
on the title, but it's something to do with Africa - most of the songs are
based on Mann's experience growing up in South Africa). She is billed as
a backing vocalist but actually is co-lead vocalist on most of the songs.
The album includes a terrific cover of Al Stewart's "Eyes of Nostradamus",
quite unlike the original.
 Finally, I found the Q Magazine supplement with the picture of the KT
Bush Band. The photo is credited to "Vic King". The caption says it was taken
in 1977, when Kate Bush was 19, at the Rose and Lee pub in Lewisham.
 Fiona McQuarrie