Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Running Up That Hill

From: lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1992 21:39:45 -0700
Subject: Running Up That Hill
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

As I continue my studies in Medieval history I've come across a rather
interesting metaphor, which Dante makes particular use of in his first book
of the Divine Comedy (the Inferno). In his work Dante makes it known that he
has strayed from THE PATH and as a result finds himself at the BOTTOM of a
hill. He wishes to regain the PATH and venture back UP THAT HILL. Now, this
is all taken to mean that Dante has strayed from God and that he must find
his way back up to God thus his entire journey through through the Infeerno,
Purgatorio and Paradiso. Once knowing this, Kate's song Running Up That Hill
becomes a bit more clear atleast as to why she chose the line "running up
that hill." It would appear (to me anyway) that Kate is familiar with this
metaphor (either through Dante or simply by religious training at school)
and then used it to illustrate that the woman seeks God. If the character
wishes to make a deal with God she would first need to find God and the way
to do that would be by RUNNING UP THAT HILL.
  With all that said and done....any other opinions?
I don't think Kate has ever mentioned why she uses that particular line.
                          --- (ever curious) Lionheart

--
INTERNET:  lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!lionhart