Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

AAAARRGH! Sarah McLachlan in SF

From: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)
Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 12:25:18 -0700
Subject: AAAARRGH! Sarah McLachlan in SF
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

From: deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 1 May 1992 19:25:17 GMT
Originator: deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu

  Well, yesterday was about the worst day I've had in a long time.  I had
tickets to see Sarah McLachlan at a club called Bimbo's in San Francisco.
And I was *really* looking forward to it.  So the big day came, and...
the riots in SF had blocked the Bay Bridge, closed down BART, and basically
made getting into the city almost impossible (I live in Berkeley).  Now,
I agree that the Rodney King verdict is absolutely insane.  But keeping me
from seeing Sarah McLachlan, keeping commuters from getting home - none of
that is productive.  The rioters should have attacked the root of the problem
instead of destroying innocent businesses all along Market and fucking up
people's plans.  Sigh.  Well, that's grassroots politics...
  In any case, I decided to try to get there.  So I got in a car with a
friend, and we headed for the San Mateo bridge, which is substantially
south of San Francisco, and which had not been closed by protesters.
Traffic was pretty bad, but not as bad as the radio made it sound, and
having left at 5:30, we got to the club in San Francisco just about 8:00 on
the dot - just in time.
  And I couldn't get in because it was a 21-and-over club, a fact that the
ticket had failed to state.  Federal law prohits me from seeing Sarah
McLachlan in concert, despite the fact that at home I have enough alcohol
in my kitchen to kill a horse.  Talk about bullshit.  There were a whole
bunch of people outside the club who had gotten screwed the same way I
did, all talking to some poor apologist flunky who wouldn't give in.  I
flamed him but good, but I felt kind of bad afterwards since really it's
the law's fault, not his.  I threatened to boycott his club & get my
friends to do the same, but I won't, that would be unfair.  What I'd like
to do is boycott the government, but unfortunately that doesn't work
very well.  Grr.  For a free market...
  Believe me, I felt like joining the rioters.  AAARRGH!
  So, Tori is playing at the same club in about a week.  I'll just have
to obtain a fake ID.  Not to buy alcohol, for gods' sake, just to get
into the bloody club.  What a world.  Fascism reigns supreme.  And I bet
the only *real* end result of this whole riot thing will be stepped-up
police presence, eroding of civil liberties in the name of civilian
security, etc. etc.  The closer people get to revolution the closer the
government takes us to being a fascist state.  We'll get there sooner or
later.  Hoo, well I'm very depressed, I should sign off here.
  Anyhow, anybody under 21 trying to go to Bimbo's, take note: their
tickets, unlike the ones for the I-Beam, etc., do not say it's a 21-and-
over club.  So be prepared...

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)