Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

midge ure

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1992 11:20:49 -0700
Subject: midge ure
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

I recently acquired what i expect to be midge ure's most recent
album, Pure.  I have but one word for this album: fantastic!
It is the best new music I've heard in some time.
In particular, I like it because it is up beat and life-affirming
(i.e. I like Tori, too, but exactly why *is* "her" name
on those jeans in the first place, etc.)

Not only would I very strongly recommend Pure to anyone on this list,
but also, if anyone has any info/knowledge about Midge Ure, I would
be interested to hear it.

For those who fear this is just another kateless tangent, take heed!
Midge Ure featured Kate on another fine album (but IMO, not quite
as good) Answers to Nothing (I think) on the track Sister and Brother.

I caught Tori's Silent all these Years videos by fluke and I absolutely
love it.  I love the way she uses her eyes and face, and I like
the minimalism.  It is perfect for the song on many levels.
In fact, I like it better than any other video I've ever seen,
even Kate's.

I also had the opportunity to watch the Whole Story videos
with a friend who'd never heard any Kate before.  I own the video,
but rarely watch it alone.  I'm still not sure how wise it was
to introduce someone to kate that way (I feel the music is
*orders of magnitude* better than the videos), but she was, nonetheless
visually arrested.  Unfortunately, I still cannot get myself to
tolerate Experiment 4 *in any form* (remix/video/TWS/etc.).

I just think X4 is Kate's downright least inspired, worst song, period.
I cannot think of another Kate song I so loath.  Anyone else feel
this way?  [I guess it's pretty amazing that of all the myriad songs,
this is the only one I genuinely dislike... hell, I'll even sit
through Heads We're Dancing these days...]

Anyone else seeing Tori in Mpls on Sunday?  I'll be wearing
my Happy Rhodes shirt... come by and say hi if you see me!

-mjm (mike mendelson)