Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: STuff

From: justin@crim.ca (Justin Bur)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1992 15:00:05 -0700
Subject: Re: STuff
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Ray Peck <rpeck@pure.com> speculates on what `this' is that brings
us together in Be kind to my mistakes.  He seems not to know the
premise of the novel _Castaway_ (an autobiographical novel, from
which the film was based): a man has placed an advertisement seeking
a companion to spend some time (a year?) on an uninhabited tropical
island.  Lucy Irvine, the author of the book and heroine of the film,
replies to accept the offer.  It's not just a matter of two people
meeting for the first time and making love; they're meeting for the
first time to live together alone in unusual circumstances (and no
doubt to make love too, but I haven't read the book or seen the film).

So what is `this'?  Presumably the fantasy that they both want to
live out, the impulse that drove him to advertise for a companion
and impelled her to answer him: the idea of living as castaways,
brought together by chance, but isolated by choice.

justin