Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Diamanda

From: farrellj@aqua.pc.ocunix.on.ca (Farrel McGovern)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1992 20:56:38 -0700
Subject: New Diamanda
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis) writes:

> In article <65124@apple.Apple.COM> saurav@tgevax.life.uiuc.edu (Saurav Misra)
> >Any feedback on the new Diamanda Galas? The CD pic makes her look downright,
> >uh...marketable. I hope no unfortunate Christian Muzak listeners misinterpre
> >the song titles in the back and buy the disc. "Where were you when my lord
> >was crucified!" - indeed.
>

> Since my very local music store seems unable to carry Tori Amos for one reaso
> or another, I decided  to buy the new Diamanda Galas instead. I found the fac
> that she covered Gloomy Sunday (the Billie Holiday song that Sarah McLachlan
> also covers in her live shows) a good sign. Not having heard anything from he
> before all I can say is SCARY STUFF. Her voice is all over the place. Her pia
> playing is very interesting. I want to say she is the female Nick Cave, but
> it doesn't sound right... When she played in Athens, Greece last summer, she
> requested ~10-20 kgs of animal blood for her shows. I now understand why.

  Hi!

  I have seen Sarah a few times now, and she never sang the same cover in
another show. I am pretty sure that if you heard her cover a song, she would
not sing it again in concert...I saw two shows, a couple of months apart,
and she didn't cover the same tunes in the two show...first time was the
famous "Georgia", and the second time was a tune by Talk Talk.

ttyl
Blessed Be,
     Farrell