Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos in Cambridge last night

From: tjfs@tadtec.co.uk (Tim Steele)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1992 04:34:10 -0700
Subject: Tori Amos in Cambridge last night
To: wisner

As a neophyte I may have trouble, but here goes...

I was at the concert last night & can hopefully give a few details.
Basically Tori sang for about 90 minutes in total & did some tracks
from Little Earthquakes, some tracks from a previous album (?) and
some songs she hasn't recorded.  Some of her introductions were quite
cute, along the lines of:

"This song is one of my favourites, so I did a deal with it: since it
 didn't make it onto the album I'll sing it every night [sic]"

On stage was just a piano, a mike and a piano stool.  In the
background were three canvas drapes with multi-coloured lights behind.
Very simple.  Tori was wearing a black vest, grey/black jeans and some
rather colourful red shoes with buckled straps.  She brought on a
bottle of Evian water for swigs in between songs.  She also has a
rather unusual way of sitting on the stool; although the piano is set
up with the keyboard perpendicular to the front of the stage, she
contrives to sing facing the audience, which involves her legs being
splayed out with her left foot operating the pedals and her right leg
pointing towards stage left.  Bizarre!

As she started her second encore (sigh) someone collapsed in the
audience, so there was a delay while she was stretchered out.  Tori
was suitably concerned.

Tim