Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Brazil

From: nrc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1992 11:43:07 -0700
Subject: re: Brazil
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

ganzer@cod.nosc.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) writes:

> It's  been  years since I since I saw the laser-disk  version  at
> Andy Marvick's house in LA. I do remember the movie was well over
> 2 hours in length, thus I do think this was the "director's cut",
> since  one  of  the  battles that Gilliam had  was  the  studio's
> insistance on getting the movie under 2 hours in length

I don't think such a thing exists unless it was an import.  I
think there was a compromise that brought the running time to
just over two hours, the current pan & scan laser disc release
shows a running time of 131 minutes, which sounds right.  The
studio was forced to give in at that length by Gilliams maneuver
with the LA film critics.

Someone wondered whether the film critics really thought that
highly of the movie.  I don't know about the critics (who does?),
but I certainly do.  I suspect that with studio support Brazil
would have received even more accolades.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.Columbus.OH.US