Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Account for Usenet System <news@sco.COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1992 13:55:43 -0800
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: Brazil
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1992 21:55:32 GMT
Sender: news@sco.COM (Account for Usenet System)

ganzer@cod.nosc.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) writes:
>It's  been  years since I since I saw the laser-disk  version  at
>Andy Marvick's house in LA. I do remember the movie was well over
>2 hours in length, thus I do think this was the "director's cut",
>since  one  of  the  battles that Gilliam had  was  the  studio's
>insistance on getting the movie under 2 hours in length

ARRRGGGGHHH!

Once more, hopefully for the last time.  There are THREE existing versions,
and this is the definitive reading on where they are and what they consist
of:

The euro version is only available as a PAL videotape - not letterboxed.  No
PAL laserdisc as far as I know.  Starts & ends without clouds.  Has
additional scenes after Sam has his necrophilia with Jill and before he ends
up in the torture chamber.

The american theatrical cut (same as euro version minus 7 minutes) is
available as a laserdisc and videotape.  Not letterboxed, unfortunately.
Starts & ends with clouds.

Both of the above cuts run over 2 hours.  I think the euro cut is 2 hrs and
20 minutes, whereas the american one is 2 hrs and 13 minutes.

The american TV cut (butchered beyond belief, not representative of the
director's vision AT ALL) is shown on TV every once in a while.  It is only
of interest to true Brazil fans (such as myself).  Starts & ends with clouds.

This one runs about 90 minutes, maybe.

Any further questions?

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.