Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sarah McLachlan in Chicago

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1992 02:59:51 -0800
Subject: Sarah McLachlan in Chicago
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM>
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in To: address found on wiretap.Spies.COM:To: clout\!wiretap.spies.com\!love-hounds@chinet.chi.il.us (love-hounds) ^ ^-illegal word in localpart \-expected word

Vickie here. Wow! Well, oh my goodness....um, well, oh....*WOW*!!

Chris and I went to see Sarah McLachlan this past evening and I'm still in
somewhat of a daze. Everyone who's ever said this was absolutely
right on the mark: She is an *amazing* performer!

The concert was sold out (at the Park West) and I was the first person
at the door. I brought my trusty boom box and played Sarah for the
folks waiting in line behind me, some of whom had never heard anything
other than "Into the Fire." This was a WXRT "Budget" show so the tickets
were only $6.00. As soon as the doors opened I raced down to the front
and was pleased to see that the Part West had it's usual arrangement.
Tables and chairs were pushed right up to the front of the stage, so
I took the prime spot and it was probably about 6-7 feet away from
her when she took the stage. I love the Park West because it's nice,
clean, has a great sound system and is almost always general admission.
We've seen Jane Siberry, Julee Cruise and the Bulgarian Chorus there,
among others. I sat in the same spot I did for Jane and Julee. It's a
lot of fun being that close to people you adore! I saved seats for
Mike Mendelson and his friend, and Chris, who all came in later. I
think Mike was a bit weirded out at first being so close but I think
he came to like it (eh, Mike?) after a while.

I wrote down the songs as she performed them (tried to get a set list
but the roadies grabbed them up before anyone could get to them) and
there were 2 songs I couldn't remember the name of. I wrote down snatches
of lyrics for them and as soon as I listen to Solace I'll know what they
are, but for right now, here's what I have:

Drawn to the Rythm
Back Door Man
?  "Look at the child...dream in his eyes"
Lost
Shelter
Black
Out of the Shadows
Ben's Song
I Will Not Forget You
? "Terms of endearment"
Into the Fire
Steaming

1st encore
Got to Give it Up (cover of a Talk-Talk song)
Steaming (reprise)

2nd encore
Gloomy Sunday (cover of a Billie Holiday song)

It's hard to pick out highlights because everything was so wonderful,
but especially nice were Black (weirder and wilder than on the record,
which is pretty darn weird and wild) and Ben's Song (she was alone on
stage, at the keyboard, with a lamp turned on beside her. The audience
was very still and quiet and gave her a roaring ovation after the song
finished. She was quite suprised and moved by the response) and Steaming
(a perfect pick for the end of the show...the entire band had a great
time just jamming like crazy and the audience was full of people screaming
and clapping throughout the song) and Gloomy Sunday (Sarah said that she
loved this "most depressing song in the universe" because "the more
depressing a song is, the more I love to sing it." She was alone on stage
playing acoustic guitar during this song and it was amazingly beautiful)

She said a couple of times that she wasn't even sure that anyone would
show up. I believe her, because it was very obvious that she was very
suprised (and, yes, again...moved) by the response of the audience.
When people clapped and cheered at the beginnings of her early songs,
she broke out in huge smiles and shook her head slightly in astonishment.
I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish...I'd taped the concert.
I really, really, really, really do. I didn't even think of it. Boo Hoo!!

The band was great! I didn't get the names of the band members, but I
wish I had, they were all *so* good!

Sarah's voice is wonderful on record, but live it's astonishingly
clear and beautiful, just beautiful! *She's* beautiful too and it
was great being so close and seeing all her different expressions.
She's quite animated, which doesn't come across at all in the videos
I've seen.

I can't really describe the concert or the music any better, sorry. If
you haven't heard Sarah, you should...it's just that simple.

I had brought a Warpaint with me to give to Sarah and, during the break
between the opening (not even worth describing) act and Sarah, I wrote
a note and tucked it into the cassette. Even though I was so close, I
never really saw an opportunity to give the cassette to her while she
was on stage. After the lights came up and the roadies and band started
breaking down equipment, I gave it to the keyboard player and asked him
to please give it to Sarah. He said he would. Then Chris and I decided
to wait around for a while at the door we knew (from past experience)
she would come out. We waited about a half hour and, just as I was ready
to suggest leaving, she came out. She saw us and went "oh, hi!" and we
ohhi'd her back. Her arms were full with flowers and stuff and I had
one of my "pre-release" cassettes with me for her to sign. (These are
the cassettes that were promos way back last year, before they moved
the release date to January) She said "wait, let me take this stuff
to the bus and I'll be right back." We weren't sure if she would come
back but she did! In less than a minute too. She signed the cassette
and we stood around talking about videos, the tour (I asked her about
playing Newfoundland, Beth. She said she had a great time there) and
the last tour, when Chris saw her play in a tiny little club in Chicago
called Schubas (A *great* place! We've seen Dave and Barbara, Laurie
Freelove, Lisa Germano and Mouth Music there)

I asked her if she had gotten a tape from...."Oh yeah, Happy Rhodes, yes
I got it, you were the one? Thank you" and I talked a bit about Happy
and she being "compared" in some reviews. She was pleased that she'd
"finally gotten to the point where people are compared to me, instead
of me being compared to others" :-) and then she had to go. She's *so*
nice and very sweet. I was suprised to see that she's very small. It's
funny how our favorite female singers always turn out to be short, thin
and small-boned. Kate, Jane, Happy and Sarah are all about the same size-
I'm sure they could wear each other's clothes with no problems at all!

In the hubub, we heard that Sarah might be coming back in the summer.
We asked Sarah and she said it was a possibility, they weren't sure
yet. After the night's sold out performance and the incredible response
from the audience, I think it would be *seriously* considered. We'll
definitely go again, and I *will* tape that one!!!

The next stop in the tour was Cleveland, but from there I don't know
where she's headed. Does anyone have a tour itinerary? If anyone goes
and gets a chance to tape the show, please,please,please...I want a
copy, please, sir or ma'am.

It was a wonderful evening!!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)e
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us