Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

tori,sarah,johnette,niki,?,kate

From: jessica@athos.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1992 20:12:46 -0800
Subject: tori,sarah,johnette,niki,?,kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I too woudl like to say i do *not* consider
tori amos a "surrogate" for kate.

I forget now who it is that said people were
doing so. Whoever you were *calm*down*!!!

I just happen to very much like almost
every song on her new album. They're emotional
and powerful and intriguing and fun, too!
(not to mention very good to sing too, a big
plus for me). And, like most people who read/write
to gaffa, I want to let other people who might
also appreciate the music know about it!

Thank to Bob for posting that the video woudl be
on vh1, I did get it on tape! I played it for my parents
and my dad liked it a lot - he said "nice to see
someone make good use of the media" (that of music
video, he meant). :)

I'm disappointed that "China" is the second single. To me it's the
least interesting song on the album. the sound is very slow and even..
I like the ones where she goes "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

people in the room look up and go "huh?". It's fun to do, too.

-------------------

I can't *wait* to see Sarah McLachlan live! I will go see
her in boston, most certainly - Does anyone know of any
other tour dates? If she comes to NYC or Philly, that'd be easier..
(or i could go to both?)  I also got "into the fire" on video
last night.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum.

-------------------

Also got the new concrete blonde video on tape! Wonderful!!!!
I already had the single and the album, but seeing the video,
and the bit of interview with johnette afterwards makes me
appreciate it all that much more. :) I actually heard
"ghost of a texas ladies man" on WNEW (one of the very commercial
classic rock stations in the area) today.. WOW! to think concrete blonde
is getting that kind of attention! it's wonderful..

Johnette explains that while they were touring with sting they stayed
(darn i forget the name) at a hotel in texas, and johnette saw a ghost
in her room - she told the other band members, and one of them said
that he'd been tlaking with someone else at the hotel about it, and
they said a book was being written abotu this ghost - that many people
had seen it. She said he kept turning the light on when she was trying
to go to bed, and she thinks he just wanted to see her naked, and that
he only bothers single women. She didn't get a good look at him - she
said some other woman said he was "cute in a civil war kind of way".

So that's what the song is about..

btw: I tihnk johnette looked really good - better than in the "joey"
video (imho). Do *not* cry sacriledge - this is my own personal
opinion here! At times in the video, out of the corner of my eye, she
looked a bit like kate - just sort of the overal image.. it would
catch my attention with a little pull... Just like the bits on Happy
Rhodes' _Warpaint_ that makes my ears perk up a tiny bit wondering
"kate?".

 -------------------

saw a few lush videos - i just can't make up my mind if i like lush or
not! Sometimes i do, sometimes they're just sort of ok.

-------------------

I don't know the name of the girl in the sugarcubes.. I like
the video for "hit" a lot.

I still haven't made up my mind what kate eary demo song i'll do
first.. I'm torn between a few.. When i've finally decided I'll post
again with more ideas. Knowing what all the words are will make a
difference, too..

		jessica

--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||