Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

EMPTY BULLRING

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1992 02:29:25 -0800
Subject: EMPTY BULLRING
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        Laurie asks about _The_Empty_Bullring_.  Here's some info (let me
know if you want the Love-Hounds FAQ).

THE EMPTY BULLRING
------------------
        This is a song that I first had ideas for quite a few years ago. It
is really about someone who is in love with someone who is obsessed with
something that is pretty futile.  They can't get the person to accept the
fact that it is a futile obsession.  To put it into a sort of story form: he
became a matador, and got gored so badly that he couldn't carry on.  But at
night he climbs out of the window and runs off to a bullring, when there is
no-one there, and he fights a bull that doesn't exist.
        WHO IS TAMLAIN, MENTIONED IN "_THE_EMPTY_BULLRING_"?
        Tamlain is a girl in a traditional fairy story, who is locked up in
an ivory tower.   (1983, KBC 14)

_The_Empty_Bullring_
 Disappears through a window.
 Out of my mind
 Trying to keep him at home.
 Out into Rome
 In the early hours,
 Leaving me here
 Like Tamlaine in her Tower.
 You are going
 To the empty bullring,
 Taking your red cloak
 To regain something.

 Oh, you rolling matador,
 Kill in your eyes
 For the toro
 That shut the door
 To glory and gore.
 The throw of the rose--
 It's all you lived for,
 But you've lost it all.

 Your red streak
 On the plot where many fee
 Left it incomplete.
 But you kept the meaning.
 You feel him charge again,
 And you feel him cut you down
 Right on the spot
 Where you thought
 You were ground for good.
 These flights of fantasy
 Make your wounds more sore,
 But you've every right
 To even grab at the last straw.
 Oh, Lord...

 Oh, you rolling matador,
 Kill in your eyes
 For the toro
 That shut the door
 To glory and gore.
 The throw of the rose--
 It's all you lived for,
 But you've lost it all.

        I would generally trust the lryics above more so then any others
since they are from Andrew Marvick who has really seriously studied this
stuff.

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill