Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Backing away

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1992 21:43:00 -0800
Subject: Backing away
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

	I want to applaud Vickie for backing away from any role as impressario
of some collective love-hounds gesture on the occasion of Hannah Bush's death.
What I was trying to get at when I posted on the night that Vickie had reported
that news to us is clarified by her instinct here.  This is not a fan club
moment.  Those who have pointed out the imposition it would be on the Bush
family to have to deal with pounds of useless flowers and piles of
correspondence just now are right on target too.

	The very sincere impulse that so many of us feel to make a gesture of
acknowledgement on this occasion is authentic, and if pooled into a significant
benefit for a charity that the family respects can be a worthwhile good.
Whether we need someone to compile those gestures into a collective action of
this newsgroup seems doubtful to me, as apparently it seems doubtful to Andrew
Marvick too.

	Thanks to those who are learning and posting addresses for the
foundation that has been identified.
							      Peter Manchester
   "I'm scared of the changes" 			      pmanches@sbccmail.bitnet
				       		 pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu