Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lone Star Lionhearts

From: patrik@cup.portal.com
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1992 16:44:48 -0800
Subject: Lone Star Lionhearts
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

     As you may have read, I am the "electronic liason" for LONE STAR
LIONHEARTS.   I have been forwarding messages to and from the editor
of LSL, Kevin Hendryx.
     Recently, a posting on this group suggested that someone post
some material from LSL to the newsgroup.  Kevin responded to the
effect that posting material wholesale to the group from current,
copyrighted Kate fanzines could well have a detrimental effect on the
fanzines.
     This led to only one response, an e-mail message from Ben Haller.
I have his permission to repost his private message to the group.
This message follows, with Kevin's reply following on.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 92 23:11:01 -0800
>From: deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller)
>To: patrik@cup.portal.com
>Subject: Re: Message from Lone Star Lionhearts
>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>
>In article <9202071807.2.4179@cup.portal.com> you write:
>>     I will forward all net replies (and e-mail to the addresses below).
>OK, I've got one.
>
>>     Unfortunately, it is the "give me something for nothing"
>>attitude exhibited by those on the Love-Hounds network (subsidized
>>by their employers, for the most part), who would rather pirate
>>information and circulate it privately rather than actively support
>>the fanzines (i.e. subscribe themselves) that makes it so difficult
>>for the established Katezines to remain economically viable.
>>
>>   --Kevin Hendryx
>
>  Oh, yes, but you people with printing presses are making life very
>difficult for all the scribes who used to copy KaTe news by hand.  Please,
>get with the times.  Electronic distribution is the wave of the future.
>Why not get with it rather than bemoaning the inevitable changes that
>are making your current mode of existance useless and untenable?  If
>you are having trouble making money at running a KaTe fanzine, perhaps
>it is because a KaTe fanzine is no longer what the world wants.  You
>are providing a useless service and complaining because people don't
>subscribe.  Why not open a store selling used toilet bowl brushes,
>or a restaurant that serves bad food?
>  As for the "subsidized by their employers" aside, which I suppose is
>meant to imply some kind of parasitic relationship: the people who pay for
>the net do so voluntarily (to the extent that it is not supported by
>the government, at least - I would like to see it divest from the
>governement, but that's as likely as getting the government out of
>any other part of our lives...).  Neither my employer, nor the employers
>of other love-hounds I suspect, have any problem with my using the net.
>In fact it is tacitly encouraged.  Not everyone has their head in the
>sand.
>
>If you wish to continue this discussion, either continue sending e-mail
>though Pat, or reply by mail:
>  Ben Haller
   <address deleted>
>I am not really trying to insult you, but I was somewhat offended by
>*your* comments as posted by Pat.  I am more than willing to continue
>discussing this topic.
>
>-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

REPLY TO BEN HALLER:

     When the electronic net is able to provide the level of news
coverage, musical analysis, artwork, and serious discussion provided
by the better Katezines, only then can their members claim to be the
"wave of the future."  Too much of the space in the nets is taken up
with rumors, gossip, flames and ad hominem attacks that would not be
tolerated in the mainstream press or a serious musicological
publication (which, by and large, _LSL_ attempts to be, behind our
breezy facade--we do not take ourselves _that_ seriously, after all).
     I am often disturbed by the elitist attitude exhibited by
certain of the electronic "haves" of the world.  They are too quick to
regard themselves as creatures apart from and superior to the majority
of people without the resources or desire to participate.  Many people
are unable (or find it unnecessary) to invest in expensive
computer/communications equipment, and those who can have no right
to force their lifestyles or attitudes on others.
     This is especially hypocritical on the part of those who do
indeed "pirate" their computer time from their school or their place
of work (a subject you finesse).  People who are not paying for their
information should be careful of criticizing those who do, e.g.
fanzine subscribers, who are very happy with the product they
receive.
     I suspect the authors and publishers of the KB collector's guide
would hold similar opinions.  People who invest their money in making
a product available are entitled to a fair return, and disseminating
information _gratis_ is theft from Godwin and his publishing
company--they lose sales, and if people can't sell Kate books, we
cannot complain if, eventually, there are none made available to us.

     --Kevin Hendryx
       Editor, LONE STAR LIONHEARTS

*  Patrick Crumhorn                USENET: patrik@cup.portal.com *
*  CI$: 74146,1134                 GEnie:  P.CRUMHORN            *
*  Fidonet: 1:382/1.0     "Space migration is the only solution  *
*                            to this cop-ridden planet."         *
*                                         --William S. Burroughs *