Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Account for Usenet System <news@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 12:20:25 -0800
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: I feel good (repost)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 20:17:42 GMT
Sender: news@sco.COM (Account for Usenet System)

jessica@athos.rutgers.EDU (jessica) writes:
>I also had a request recently to do a version of the sensual world
>with the original lyrics. I know jon and jenn did one a while back,
>but i've never heard it. (I'd like to! who has a tape?). I still would
>like to do a version, just for the experience - jon and jenn, you guys
>wouldn't be upset about that would you?

Duh.  I might just possibly have it.  I would be terribly upset if you did
it, because Jenn's version is definitive.  No, that was a joke.  Go ahead, I
don't mind.  (Well, it was a joke that I'd be upset, it wasn't a joke that
Jenn's version is definitive.  Right, Jenn? ;-) )

>Soooooooo, I've lots of ideas already, but I'm interested in hearing
>what ideas *other* people have - do you "hear" in your mind certain
>sounds or instrumentations for certain songs?

I did a really neat hardcore version of Wuthering Heights a few years ago
with Joe Turner.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really stand up all that well
nowadays.  Particularly as we didn't have any drums or drum machines so we
just bashed a ruler on a swivel chair.  But the vocal energy was really spot
on.  "Heathcliffe AIYEEEEEEIEIIGGHHGHGHGHHHH!"

Actually, what I'd really like to hear would be an entire reworking of The
Kick Inside performed entirely by that wigged out Japanese orchestra that
utterly massacred Them Heavy People.  That has to be one of my favorite Kate
things just because it is SO STUPID.  It makes me laugh almost as much as
the Master Ninja episode of Mystery Science Theatre, or The Young Ones.

Hmmm, maybe Kate could do Vyvyan's song from the Comic Relief special!  "I
got a blocked up, stunk up streaky smelly lavvy, gonna get me some high
explosives..."

I'd really like to do a Skinny Puppy version of something like Room For The
Life, but it's really hard to do a major key in Skinny Puppy mode and if I
picked a song that was already in a minor key, it wouldn't have the added
incongruity going for it.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.