Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Account for Usenet System <news@sco.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 12:02:53 -0800
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: serious ecto notes from the ecto moderator
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 19:59:50 GMT
Sender: news@sco.COM (Account for Usenet System)

jessica@athos.rutgers.EDU (jessica) writes:
>I won't argue opinion, but since I disagree, i'll ask jon. Jon, did
>you feel that mention of you in ecto was something said "about you" in
>any kind of derogatory intionally slandering way?

I was called an asshole and many other fun words spelled mostly with
punctuation (as in, "that stupid $&#*^&$#!").  Unless they meant it in some
weird Ecto-oriented "friendly, flame free" way, then I'd consider it
derogatory, yes.

Hey, you're a real asshole, but I mean that in a non-derogatory,
non-slanderous way.  OK?  :)

>_I_ felt that people
>were just discussing your review of Happy's music, and in a relatively
>light-hearted way, too. It being a happy-music mailing list, the
>discussion seemed to have come from discussing happy, not from
>discussing you.

Everything I saw was more like, "that pretentious little twerp thinks we
actually give a fuck about what he has to say?!?"  Of course, it wasn't
expressed with anything near the lucidity or high-quality grammar of my
paraphrase.  Someone named Courtney Somethingorother in particular seemed to
want to kick my ASCII.  Another letter (I think from Meredith) went on about
net.personae rather than the music.  In fact, the only musical discussion
I saw was focused on debating whether or not I kept the Happy tape that
Vickie sent me and whether or not I secretly listen to it all the time.

>But i've never wanted to or tried to direct what shoudl be discussed
>on ecto, or how. The only rude, sarcastic, cutting, and in any way
>unpleasant remarks that have ever been made on ecto have *only* been
>made as a part of the "warmroom/gaffa/ecto" discussion.

I don't think it's out of line if the moderator ASKS POLITELY that the
posters in question move their discussion elsewhere.

>I don't have a problem with private
>mailing lists - i don't consider it a form of censorship.

It isn't censorship unless you advertise it as an open forum and then impose
restrictions on what gets through.  Can I subscribe to WarmRoom?  Can I post
anything I want?  What happens when I decide to piss in your pool, huh?
Do I get kicked off?  Filtered out?  EXPUNGED?  Argh, I'm getting that funny
throbbing in my head again... must go out and mow down a McDonald's filled
with little kiddies... Martha, load up the AK-47, I'm goin' human hunting!!!

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.