Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Names without frontiers

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1992 23:26:40 -0800
Subject: Names without frontiers
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

stev0@sti.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:

> But when you think about it, when we refer to female artists in
> general, what do we call them?  Kate, Laurie, Yoko, etc.  First names.
> When we refer to male artists?  Gabriel, Clapton, Gilmour, etc.
> Last names.  We refer to children and those of lesser stature by
> first names, adults and those of higher social stature by last name
> (usually preceeded by "Mr.", "Dr.", or even "Ms." (although the
> Powers That Be frown on this last one)).

Well, your answer was correct, it is sexism.  Not the most
malicious kind, but still sexism.

Though, I generally refer to Phil Collins as just "Phil".  How
many Phils do you know?  That are as prolific as Phil Collins?
So, Phil is usually enough for him.  Johnny for Johnny Carson,
though I use "Letterman" for people I don't know that well,
but with closer friends, I'll often say "Dave".

But still, overall, yeah it's a rather benign form of sexism,
I'd say, to generally use first names with females, and
generally use last names with men.

I do that sometimes with people I know or work with.  No harm,
actually, but definitely there.  Interesting observation,
Stev0.

Later,

Cynthia

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)

"I can bitch, I can bitch, cause I'm better than you!"