Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jess is King

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1992 11:01:01 -0800
Subject: Jess is King
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: warmroom@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu

(hey-y-y-y-y, Jessica!  I think *you're* king!!! ;^)

I mean this to be a conciliatory post... but I've got to risk some
thin ice to try and clear up some anxieties about warmroom.  sorry
if this sets off another round. (richard, thanks for the thoughtful
post, btw.)

First: I'd never dream of withholding hot news from rmg... not that
i'm especially well-connected in that way.  All my tips have come
from tom richards, and anybody can hear what he knows if they're
willing to give at&t a buck.  he's got *great* antennae.

i just want a place where i can write about kate and life, in my
very own handcrafted precious peculiar manner, without feeling
like i'm setting off alarumbells somewhere like Oshkosh...

I don't suppose we can ever know if I coulda been nicer about the
divorce... but i'm willing to be nicer now.  Cynthia, Jon, Richard,
Missy, Stev0, Larry: we're all in love with the same divinity...
even if some of us have the illconsidered impression she might sometimes
shit ;^).  I'm willing to try and take good care of you, like sisters
and brothers should, if you'll return the favor?

but i'm a ridiculously thinskinned guy.  if you think i don't *reel*
at criticism, you should check it out with me.  i die daily, i really
do, lately.  i think people *should* be extrasensitive. (nobody's
claiming, are they?, that i'm *imagining* these slights... just that
i'm overreacting... right?)

i'm still reading gaffa and ecto, but only when i'm prepared to give
up the next four hours lying up, trying to shake off whatever darts
have hit home.

hey, i been flamed on warmroom!  and i'm glad of it.  if people thought
i was putting myself above criticism... think again.  i'm on the Fool's
path, and nobody has to be afraid to flame the Fool.  But don't fucking
flame me pointlessly when i'm trying to do something good... coz from
time to time i travel the warrior's path, too. >^(

hardly anybody has started posting yet to warmroom, except me... and
if it turns out just to be a mailing list of people who do like to read
my writing-- that'd be less than i hoped, but still the best solution
for me.

i feel like it's a chance for me to explore the voice i was discovering
in my "womanly hours" post.  i expect to start getting into some wild
shit, about strange phenomena in the songs and in my own life as well.

You can now request a digest form instead of loose mail, if you prefer:
warmroom-request@ils.nwu.edu

I'd sure like to hear about other lovehounds' wild shit... so long as
it's mostly kind.

is it really that arrogant for me to think i can judge what's unkind?
if people really think so, let's talk it out in private email, to keep
the hollering from breaking back out.

i think the signs of unkindness are pretty clear, though, usually:
unconstructive abuse, personal innuendo, hurt feelings, stubborn
refusal to apologize.  I think katefans ought to practice to be kind
to each other's mistakes.  To the extent that she's our Joan of Arc,
what else is the KT8 Army's mission?

That's all I ever wanted Warmroom to be for.