Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This is pop?

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1992 07:01:27 -0800
Subject: Re: This is pop?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin) writes:

> Personally, I define Pop music to be "Usually Uptempo, usually
> in a 4/4 beat, ideally under 4 minutes, almost always about love (or
> lack thereof)".  Most music critics (the good ones, anyway), use
> "Pop" in a rather derogatory way.  And with good reason - bad pop
> has infected every generation of rock (The Archies, The Knack, Duran
> Duran, New K*ds *n the Bl*ck for four decades of the worst of Pop).

Hmmm, that's interesting, tho I don't think pop music has to
be about love to be pop.  You're right it is short for
"popular" or at least it used to be.  I know for myself, I use
"pop" sort of to describe music that isn't "rock" or "metal",
that isn't "jazz" or "new age", isn't classical, etc.  I
realize that makes "pop" sound like a garbage dump, and
sometimes it seems that way, but  it describes a large bosy of
music and artists, (scuze the typos, pleeze)  who are
"popular", and basically, don't fall into those other
categories.  I would consider Kate  a pop singer in that she
ain't a country, jazz, soul, rock etc., singer.  Tho I don't
consider it a derogatory term, I don't think she's a Top 40
snger either, which is full of pop usually, (though slow tempo
as well as uptempo, Stev0,).  She's eclectic, tho that's not a
bona fide ctegory.  BUT in the big picture, ..... I'd say, as
opposed to being anything else, or a category that fits her
better than others, yeah, she's a "pop" singer.

SOme of those groups you mentioned are byond the pale even for
"pop" IMO.  I think that might be called "bubble-gum" music ?
Or canned pop?  White Bread pop?  Okay, I'm makin those up,
but there's decent pop I think, and really crappy pop.  Though
everyone may have a different idea of each.

Different ideas?  Are those still allowed?

Aren't YOU the one who caused all these "heavy issues"?
Aren't YOU the Great Satan?

Well, good.  Later,

Cynthia

> Stay tuned for next week's question:  Is Kate a Bubblehead?

THAT'S IT!  I want to start a new mailing list!  Now you've
done it! :-)

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)

"I can bitch, I can bitch, cause I'm better than you!"