Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: spillane, > ethics, "talk"

From: jessica@athos.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1992 22:50:53 -0800
Subject: Re: spillane, > ethics, "talk"
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

ukevc@mcl.mcl.ucsb.EDU (Kevin Carhart) writes:

>I think it would be cool to chat with love-hounds with the "Talk" command...
>so the best way to go about it is probably that if my paging you is all right
>with you if we're both on at once, e-mail me.  And if your "finger" and
>"talk" recognize ukevc@mcl.ucsb.edu, please do.  Is there any precedent for
>this?

>Kevin

I've mentioned this before, but noone has seemed interest. I think
there's a fair amount of the "shy away from IRC and things like it"
atittude, and I'd like to point out that I'm propsing sometihng
entirely different.

I run a server that allows people to "talk" interactively with more
than one person at once. That is the only way in which is similar to
IRC.  Even so, I can understand people's hesitance, if they're not
intersted in being bothered with the rest of what might happen on a
chat program.  This one is called ICB (International CB), and I am
currently running a server that is almost never used, and thus i use
is mostly for my own purposes.

However, I'd be willing to run another server, one pretty much
exclusively for Kate (and other music) discussions. It's fairly easy
to simply have a group on an exisiting server, but if the openness of
the server is a problem for anoyone, i could make it so that there's a
"Kate" server and thus you could be certain that anyone there would be
intersted in talking music. If you're a unix-type person, you're
likely to enjoy the interface, at least, that's been my experience so
far.

To acces the server, you need to run a client, and thus you must have
some kind of UNIX system on which it'll compile (it's fairly portable,
and i'm willing to help if it hasn't already been done on your
system).(I'm also willing to help if you've no idea how to build it.)

If there's any kind of interest, i'll start up a "Kate" server and
announce the location of source for the client.

It's something i'd love to see. icb has always encouraged great
discussion.  Anyone interested in "talk"ing Kate/Music could just hop
on, without having to worry about finding love-hounds interested in
talking. ('cause if they were, they'd be there :)

			 jessica
--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||