Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Emotional cynics and cynical emotionalism

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1992 11:40:15 -0800
Subject: Emotional cynics and cynical emotionalism
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com, love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

I for one am getting sick to death of this "Emotionals vs.
Cynics" business.  If you feebs would quit baiting each other the
rest of us would have a much more enjoyable Gaffa.

I'm not going to join the WarmRoom mailing list if the
moderator's expressed intent is to prevent certain people from
joining or to kick off people that don't meet his standards of
niceness.  As some of you may have already guessed, I am just as
disenchanted with what the so-called "Emotionals" have been
posting lately as with what the so-called "Cynics" have been
posting.  I also suspect that if this same sort of pompousness
showed up in the WarmRoom mailing list I would promptly get
kicked off for speaking my mind, because I am not the kind of
person who is always sweet and cheery and never pisses people
off.

     cynical: doubting the sincerity and goodness of others

By this measure, Jorn is also a cynic.  However much I may
disagree with folks like Richard and Cynthia, there is no doubt
that they are sincere.

Re: Rocket Man

Richard claims that my preconceptions are influencing my
judgement of Kate's cover of "Rocket Man", and he's right.  We
clearly have different preconceptions.

Mine are that Kate put at least some thought into how she wanted
to present her cover, and that space travel may indeed involve
incredible tedium, but which to me could never completely ruin
the unparalleled excitement.  However much the lyric of "Rocket
Man" may allude to the tedium and sadness, even the original
version alludes to the joy, and Kate's apparent decision to make
the song a little more light-hearted sits perfectly well with me.

I have finally gotten around to listening to _Lionheart_ and my
main impression is "What's so bad about it?"  It fits quite well
into the progression of her albums, with both the charming
naivete of TKI and hints of the weirdness to come.