Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Good Things (Was: Tori Amos release)

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 06:41:19 -0800
Subject: Good Things (Was: Tori Amos release)
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

In article <AA29202@tessi>, john@tessi.UUCP (John Zimmer) writes:
|> Ed Suranyi writes:
|>
|> >The latest issue of Billboard (Jan. 25) has a small ad for Tori
|> >Amos on the front page.  The ad says that her album will be released
|> >in the US  on February 25.
|>
|> Hmm, I called CD Hotline (1-800-CD-INFO1) and was given Feb. 11 as the date; we'll find out soon enough!
|>
|> New KaTe (with Clapton) in July!?  What a wonderful birthday present! (Mine is 2 weeks before hers.)

Hmm.  Most professional Kate-watchers aren't predicting another album for
a couple of years.  But IF she releases one in July, this would be a very
good thing.  I mean BESIDES the obvious fact of a new Kate album!  Also,
here are a couple of sentences that seem to contradict each other
(something that never stopped ME before!)

1.  I'm not particularly fond of "Rocket Man".
2.  I really hope "Rocket Man" is on the new album

(Disclaimer:  when I say "new album", I mean "alledged new album."  If one
is REALLY coming out, I will be rather shocked.)

Here's why:  To hone my smugly superior attitude, I enjoy keeping tabs
on what America is watching, listening to, and reading (not that I watch,
etc. what America watches - I just like to know names).  So for those
of you who don't keep tabs of the top ten - things are really weird right
now.  For almost the last year, 3 or 4 (sometimes more!) of any of the
given top ten songs (that's 30% - 40% to you fellow stat lovers) I first
heard on the local "Alternative" station!  Mind you, I still dislike most
of it, even if it's supposedly "cool" (examples:  EMF, Nirvana, and this
dreadful thing called Right Said Fred), but the fact is America is finally
waking up from its rap/heavy metal stupor.  Which brings us to the central
point of this rambling:

      AMERICA IS *FINALLY* READY FOR KATE!

*IF* The new album comes out in July (or sooner - "Bob" knows how long
this will last), and *IF* Rocket Man is (or was?) released as a domestic
single, and *IF* the video starts getting played on MTV (Which it might-
Elton John is HOT right now), then I predict Kate will FINALLY go
platnum in the USA.  The only thing that would have clinched it is if they
put her video on the Two Rooms videotape.  Of course, five months from
now Americans might be sick of Elton John (who could blame them?), so my
prediction might go the way of my prediction that Joy Division, through
some temporal fluke, would have the #1-selling album in 1991.

- Stev0

P.S. I'm just as tired as everyone else of this flame war I seem to have
started (I'm sorry I started it - While I don't mind reading other folks'
flames, I give bonus points if they know when to shut up.  Of course, if
The Powers That Be decide TO censor me, they would also have to censor
Jorn, 'cause he's been flaming as much - if not more - than I.  Funny how
it works both ways, isn't it?  That's my final word on this dreary topic,
I promise.
--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   |  This .sig is under construction
Stev0@sti.com          |