Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Diamanda Galas

From: speights@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Arlen Speights)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1992 16:20:38 -0800
Subject: Re: Diamanda Galas
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

golden@pixmap.seas.upenn.EDU (Stephen "Jokey" Golden) writes:

>Hi.  I might have a chance to interview Diamanda Galas later this
>week and I was wondering if any of you out there could help me with
>questions.  (The best I can think of: Can you scare my audeince for
>a second?)  But seriously, I have Plague Mass, so I know what sort
>of an artist she is.  But it's still very tought to come up with
>questions based on that.  Anyone have a discography or brief bio
>of her?  Thanks in advance.

She is known by some to be a foremost jazz and blues vocalist,
and has at one time done "free jazz," dating John French, "Drumbo"
of Captain Beefheart's magic band.  Now her work is occupied
primarily with her particular brand of AIDS-related art, her brother
having died of AIDS.  She is often misunderstood as a gothic or
industrial musician, to her vocal dismay.  The composer Xenakis
has written for her, and she is regarded as an accomplished artist
among many of the New York art world.