Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy

From: ames!ultra!corin!keving@uunet.uu.net (Kevin W. Gurney)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1992 13:36:02 -0800
Subject: Re: Moving, Vaseline, Kashka, fine art, Dax, Reedy River, angry energy
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: ames!ultra!news@uunet.uu.net

In article <9201231858.AA09683@twitch.media.mit.edu>, nessus@mit.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:
|> This message is a collection of responses that have been piling up for
|> some time.  If all of these have already been answered recently,
|> please forgive me -- I have been on vacation for a while.

[ stuff skipped ]

|> > By the way, where does all that angry energy  of "The Dreaming" comes from?
|>
|> > I don't think anybody can produce a work of such STRONG emotion without
|> > some stimuli of an equivalent magnitude.
|>
|> Kate has said that at the time she was living in the city and that she
|> found it very stressfull.  She was also very upset about the death of
|> John Lennon.  This made also made her fear for her own safety, living
|> in the city and all, and she installed a security system in her home
|> with remote cameras at the gate so that she could see someone before
|> letting them through.  (This is mentioned, by the way, in the song
|> "All The Love": "So now when they ring I get my machine to let them
|> in.")  The age of 25 is also a very common age for people to be filled
|> with all kinds of angst.

|> "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"

Interesting, Doug. I had always interpreted that line to mean, "When they
call me on the phone, I let my answering machine let them (i.e. their voice)
into the room.", like when people screen their calls.

Does the term "to ring" mean to visit, in addition to meaning to call on
the telephone, in British English?  I had always assumed since the song
has snippets of answering machine messages in it, that "the machine" was
simply the answering machine.

Doesn't really change anything about what the song means to me, but this is
a mildly interesting disagreement over interpretation, and God knows there
haven't been nearly enough of those here for a while.