Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWW Japanese Booklet (part 0)

From: "Martin R. Lamb" <martinn@csri.toronto.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1992 14:34:46 -0800
Subject: Re: TWW Japanese Booklet (part 0)
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Really from: Tippi Chai

Andrew Walsh <awalsh@mta.ca> writes:
>>Really from: Tippi Chai
>
>>1958: Aug 7
>>Born Catherine Bush [...]
>
>EXCUSE ME? Aug 7? Can someone confirm this,

WhOOOPS! my mistake!!  It *IS* the "seventh month", and my mind slipped
a gear when I had to render that into English.  Sorry for any heart attacks
I inadverdently caused.

From:	Andrew Russ <aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu>
>>Really from: Tippi Chai
>> she listened to [...] Blind Fish [?],
>
>	Maybe it's Blind Faith?
>Depends on how they translate that name--phonetically or literally.

The Japanese never translate band names literally (unlike what we do in
Hong Kong.)  So my "blind guess" at "BURAINDO FEISU" was "Blind Fish",
but of course "Blind Faith" fits the bill exactly.  (There is no "th" sound
in Japanese.  Nor is there a "v" sound originally; they had to "invent"
a new character combination to take care of all those unpronouncable
foreign stuff :-)

This means that when I'm through with the translation, I'll have a pile
of proper names that I'll need help with.  Stay tuned.
--
"The throw of the rose is all you live for" KB

Tippi Chai
GUEST ON : {decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!martinn  ||  martinn@csri.toronto.edu
Disclaimer: all opinions, pinions and onions expressed herein are solely mine.