Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Until The End Of The World

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1992 21:11:16 -0800
Subject: Re: Until The End Of The World
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

In article <92Jan21.184617est.6847@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wyllie@csri.toronto.EDU (Jon Andrew Wyllie) writes:

>Howdy,
>
>I bought the sountrack from "Until The End Of The World"
>about a month before the movie came out.
Me too! I got it when it came out.

>Comments:
>The soundtrack for the movie is amazing.  Definately
>worth the $15 (CDN), as mentioned in previous posts to
>this group.
I think it's one of the best investments I have made in music.
The songs that are on it that can be found elsewhere are slightly
different(compare Lou's 'What's good' with the same song on 'Magic and
Loss' and U2 's song with the album version). The rest are simply
beautiful. REM's 'Fretless' is as good as anything on Out of TIme,
and Nick Cave's song is great. Not to mention Daniel Lanois' song
and the Jane/k.d duet.

BTW, is Lanois' 'Acadie' available in the US? I haven't been able to
find it around Boston for the last two months.

>The movie, on the other hand, was a bit of a surprise.  I
>guess I was expecting the music to play a larger role in
>the movie.  Some of the songs on the album tell stories,
>which I thought would be related to the movie.  I still
>really enjoyed the movie and I will probably go see it
>again.  The movie takes you all over the world in the
>year 1999 (not that far away) and introduces a technology
>which allows you to record your dreams with a computer.

I think this was intentional. Wenders didn't want the songs to
distract the viewer from the movie, and simply gave the artists
the plot line without too many details. What he received ranged
from 'Naked' out-takes back in 1988 from the now-dissolved Talking
Heads to 20 different mixes of the Neneh Cherry song(of which a
rather lame dub mix appears on the album).

Which brings me to my question to whoever has seen the movie:
What's the new Peter Gabriel song like?

And where is KaTe?? Any album looking towards the future of music
should include a KaTe song, right?

Angelos
|	'Culture shocked eyes that hide the fears	|
|	 Eroded cheeks from acid tears			|
|	 Where every smile escapes my face		|
|	 To seek refuge in a happier place'		|
|				hApPy RhOdEs 'Possessed'|