Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Questions from new gaffan

From: ulowell!iuvax.cs.indiana.edu!nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia@uunet.UU.NET (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1992 07:27:27 -0800
Subject: Questions from new gaffan
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.EDU (Stuart M Castergine) writes:

> I've lurked through the last 150 or so posts my site had saved, and I
> have some questions.

Well, I'm sure I won't be the only one, but I'll try to answer
a couple as best I can.

> 1. Why the affectation of capitalizing the T in KaTe?

I believe that earlier in her career, Kate led a band called
the K. T. Bush Band.  The K.T. is readable as Katie, although
I seem to have a dim memory of someone saying her middle name
was Theresa?  Somebody may want to confirm or deny that.
Anyways, it is based on that, and yesy it is merely an
affectation, or, an affeKTaTion.

> 2. Any other theories on the meaning of gaffa besides gaffers tape?

Oh, God, here we go again.  There have been many theories and
arguments, and I'm sure several self-appointed KaTe-Keepers of
the Faith will let you know.  There's also a monthly post in
here for newcomers like yourself, that gives some brief
explanation of it, it should show up soon.

> 4. The newest Kate I have is The Whole Story; somebody made a comment
> about the "deterioration of her voice of late." Any comments about
> that? Is it serious? That would be sad.

Hmmm, that possibly was a quote from me, but not necessarily.
YOu probably should get The Sensual World, it's nice, though
most people think not up to her earlier works.  The sound,
engineering-wise, isn't so great on it.
What the "deterioration" remark probably referred to was her
latest cd single which contains Rocket Man and Candle In The
Wind.  Some people can find no wrong in anything Kate does,
to what I feel is an unreasonable and unrealistic extent.
However, some people try to judge her work for its own merit.
Or lack thereof.   My particular opinion of Rocket Man and
especially Candle In The Wind, is that they are not her best
efforts.  My opinion of Rocket Man is based mostly on what I
feel is a somewhat unsuccessful arrangement.  On Candle In The
Wind, I found her voice to be wobbly and nearly out of tune at
several points, definitely not as fine and strong and in tune
an instrument as it was on earlier albums, The Whole Story
being a good sampler of those.  There was some speculation
from those who also felt that way, that her years of smoking
may be catching up to her.  Smoking almost invariably does
catch up to a singer.  For me, I dunno if it's smoking or a
hastily produced effort or what, but it sounded very subpar to
me, not so much for the arrangement as her voice being so
amateurish sounding.  You will get other opinions from other
people.  No one knows if it's "serious".  Her next album will
probably tell the tale.   You may listen to RM and Candle and
love them both.  That's fine.  I'm simply explaining the
origins of the vocal deterioration comments.

> I've never been so impressed by any musician. Ever. My wife, kids and
> I took a two-week rode trip across the United States late last summer.
> The only Kate Bush album we had was Hounds of Love. When the trip
> started, I was just a casual fan, and my wife didn't know her from
> Adam. By halfway through the trip, that tape was playing over and over
> in the auto-reverse tape deck and my wife and I were saying to each
> other "We should get more Kate Bush albums!"

That's neat.  I'd get The Kick Inside if I were you, it's
lovely, and it's her first album.  That's a good way to hear
her, just listen several times till yo get used to her sound.
She will grow on you. Did you say you had the Dreaming?  Most
people think that was her best album.  I'm not sure on that,
but it's definitely good!  So, enjoy!

Oh, to the person from Georgetown who had trouble finding
stuff in DC,

When I visited there recently, I had good luck at Olsson's.
The Oldtown branch I went to didn't have Kate's cd single in
at the moment, but they got it for me by the next evening.
They seemed very willing to help and to special order stuff.
SO, try asking them to find some of those artists you were
having difficulty locating.  I think they will do their best
to help you.

Was listening to Two Rooms again the other night. I like alot
of the cuts, I think Clapton was real good, as was Bon Jovi's
offering.  I must say tho, that I was surprised to find that I
was probably most impressed by Bruce Hornsby's cut.  He
impressed me by doing exactly what a "cover" of a song is
supposed to do.  Keep the spirit and meaning of the original
intact, yet add on a personal and original flavoring to it.
A good cover should be "the same, but different", and I feel
Horsby achieved that, possibly moreso than anyone else on the
album.

Later,

Cynthia

PS.  I think 15 bucks is pretty cheap for a concert in a
theater.

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)