Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Questions from new gaffan

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1992 10:10:31 -0800
Subject: Re: Questions from new gaffan
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.llnl.gov

In article <1992Jan13.043934.687@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.EDU (Stuart M Castergine) writes:

First of all, welcome to rec.music.gaffa!

>1. Why the affectation of capitalizing the T in KaTe?

The band Kate toured with before making her first album was called
the KT Bush Band.  Also, her symbol, which appears on all the album
covers (though it's hard to find on some) consists of a K with a T
crossbar.  Recently the circle from the female symbol was added.
But, actually, it IS an affectation for us to do it.

>2. Any other theories on the meaning of gaffa besides gaffers tape?

Ask Chris Williams for several.

>3. Where can I get "In the Garden?"

"The Garden" is a huge collection of Kate items: lyrics, interviews,
discographies, and miscellenea.  It has been compiled by Andrew Marvick,
who now shows up only rarely on this newsgroup.  I think, but I'm not
sure, that others also have it.  Another project
that may be of interest to you is Cloudbusting, compiled by Ron Hill.
He shows up all the time, so you can ask him for details.

>4. The newest Kate I have is The Whole Story; somebody made a comment
>about the "deterioration of her voice of late." Any comments about
>that? Is it serious? That would be sad.

She's made one album since "The Whole Story":  "The Sensual World",
which came out in 1989.  There was some controversy here about how
good it is.  Some thought it was a great disappointment.  Others, like
me, thought it was perhaps not quite as good as "The Dreaming" or
"Hounds of Love", but still better than just about anybody else's album.
IMHO the title track is particularly good.

In 1990 she released a box set that contained all six of her albums
(not including "The Whole Story", which is a compilation) and two
CDs of B-sides, alternate mixes, etc.  The set was very expensive,
especially considering all we really wanted were those two extra CDs.
But lots of us bought it anyway.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov